Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi & captive portals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if it’s intentional for model 3 not to work with captive portals ? For city dwellers without a personal garage , it’d be really useful to use something like the shared networks provided by xfinity, optimum, spectrum and the like.

Mine works on Xfinity - just need to use the web browser to log in the first time.
HOLD ON you used the Tesla web browser to log into Xfinity Hotspots and your Tesla connects to all Xfinity Hotspots????

According to Comcast you MUST have a Profile installed on your device to connect to Hotspots.

I need this so please list the steps to do this.

Does anyone know if it’s intentional for model 3 not to work with captive portals ? For city dwellers without a personal garage , it’d be really useful to use something like the shared networks provided by xfinity, optimum, spectrum and the like.
Xfinity / Cablewifi works by comparing MAC address to an allowed list. You can connect to them by finding the MAC address of your Tesla, spoofing that MAC address on your computer/phone, then logging into the captive portal on that computer.

Reactions: Pkmmte
You may need to log into a friend's wifi to get the Testa MAC address. Your friend will then need to log into the router to find the list of connected devices. My Model 3 MAC address starts with 04:4E.

You will need to screenshot (or copy/paste) the MAC address to a laptop that will later connect to the portal. On the laptop you will need to follow instructions for MAC spoofing that you can find online.

You will then login to the portal using your user/pass while spoofing the MAC address of the Tesla. Then, logout of the portal, undo the MAC spoofing. When you next enable wifi in the Tesla you should see the portal SSID and you should be able to connect without needing to login.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and JulienW
You may need to log into a friend's wifi to get the Testa MAC address. Your friend will then need to log into the router to find the list of connected devices. My Model 3 MAC address starts with 04:4E.

You will need to screenshot (or copy/paste) the MAC address to a laptop that will later connect to the portal. On the laptop you will need to follow instructions for MAC spoofing that you can find online.

You will then login to the portal using your user/pass while spoofing the MAC address of the Tesla. Then, logout of the portal, undo the MAC spoofing. When you next enable wifi in the Tesla you should see the portal SSID and you should be able to connect without needing to login.

You can get the WiFi MAC address from the Model 3 by clicking on the i icon at the top right of the WiFi settings window.

I didn't need to do any of this. I just select the Xfinity network from the WiFi list (I believe it's call xfinitywifi), then open the web browser, which redirects to the Xfinity log in page. I enter my username and password, and then it just works.

I'm not at the location I use with Xfinity now but I can look tonight and verify something else isn't going on. Or maybe you are talking about something else?

Reactions: fmm
I didn't need to do any of this. I just select the Xfinity network from the WiFi list (I believe it's call xfinitywifi), then open the web browser, which redirects to the Xfinity log in page. I enter my username and password, and then it just works.

I'm not at the location I use with Xfinity now but I can look tonight and verify something else isn't going on. Or maybe you are talking about something else?
This is what you get when you select xfinitywifi from the list. So what are you doing after this to get the web browser to open on xfinitywifi?

IMG_0555.jpeg

IMG_0556.jpeg

This will allow my Tesla to connect to ANY and ALL xfinitywifi hotspots or only the xfinitywifi hotspot it is spoofed too? I thought you needed a Profile to identify and log onto unknown xfinitywifi hotspots?????

This will allow my Tesla to connect to ANY and ALL xfinitywifi hotspots or only the xfinitywifi hotspot it is spoofed too? I thought you needed a Profile to identify and log onto unknown xfinitywifi hotspots?????
Once you have signed in using the correct spoofed MAC address your car will connect to all of those xfinity hotspots. Somewhere in your xfinity account you can see the list of learned MAC addresses - you are limited to 7 or some similar number.

You may need to repeat the process periodically, I don't know if the learned MAC addresses are cleared when you reset your xfinity password, for example.