Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi Connection Issue Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewTMSMan

Aug 21, 2017
USA
In the case anyone else runs in to this issue I have been having trouble connecting both of my Teslas to my home WiFi. I tried a clean Guest network to avoid the known DLNA issue and still it had problems. It turns out what was causing the issue was that I have a VPN set up in my router using OpenVPN that I use when traveling. Even though the ports used are different than the Tesla VPN and I have no clients connected to my VPN, it seems the service conflicts with the Tesla VPN connection and if I turn off my private VPN then my cars can connect to the network and stay connected without a problem.

NewTMSMan, you should post the details about what kind of router you have. Because having OpenVPN service running on a router should not affect the car's ability to connect to Tesla. It sounds like possibly a bug with your router or a mis-configuration. I have multiple instances of firewalls with OpenVPN servers and clients running on them - all with absolutely no issues. I'm running pfSense firewalls.

Last edited:
Well, may have spoken too soon as it seems it was a temporary fix with Orbi. I cannot maintain a connection with my Orbi to the main network, or the Guest network. I also then set up an AP completely separate from my main network and neither my Model X or my Model S can maintain a connection for more than a few seconds.

Getting so sick of all the little Tesla issues..... This should be a piece of cake for these cars, not a never ending project where I feel like I am trying to hack together a homebrew WiFi solution that will magically work with my Teslas.

You may have already tried this, but I would check to see if the AP has wireless N enabled or not. Sometimes Teslas don't seem to like when N is enabled. Also, don't try to use 5GHz - do 2.4 only. And load an app on your phone, like wifi analyzer, to see if the channel you're using is crowded.

And check this out for other tips WiFi Guide and Troubleshooter for Tesla Vehicles | TeslaTap

Reactions: Akikiki
Thanks for the reply, but that's exactly what I mean. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops just to connect these cars to WiFi. It should be easy and robust. I shouldn't have to have special settings, shouldn't have to worry about what "Teslas" like and nothing should involve me using a WiFi analyzer.

This is just a car connecting to a VPN. It should just work. My own VPN is simple and works always and I connect from anywhere. I never have issues from places all over the world.

... I shouldn't have to jump through hoops just to connect these cars to WiFi. It should be easy and robust. I shouldn't have to have special settings, shouldn't have to worry about what "Teslas" like and nothing should involve me using a WiFi analyzer. ...
Agreed! I bought a mobile hotspot to keep in my car for my daughter and other passengers to use with their tablets (and phones). I figured it would also be a good backup for the cars connection, as it's on a different carrier. However, no matter what I try, my car refuses to connect to the hotspot. It will store the connection, which means it does authenticate, but it will not use the connection. This is a simple Franklin R850 mobile hotspot; nothing special. That said, my car *will* connect to my phone's hotspot and my home WiFi.

Thanks for the reply, but that's exactly what I mean. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops just to connect these cars to WiFi. It should be easy and robust. I shouldn't have to have special settings, shouldn't have to worry about what "Teslas" like and nothing should involve me using a WiFi analyzer.

This is just a car connecting to a VPN. It should just work. My own VPN is simple and works always and I connect from anywhere. I never have issues from places all over the world.
So turning off your VPN didn’t fix it finally? My Orbi(s) has worked fine from day one, with the Tesla on the guest network. I do not have a VPN on the router, I do have VPN clients of course on various PCs, no issues there.

You may want to check newer Orbi firmware... weird that you are still having issues even when not using the VPN software.

Thanks for the update to close this thread out. I have a Hue Bridge and a number of Phillips bulbs and no interference issues, so, interesting that there’s that sort of problem.

The most likely problem normally seems to be a video/media server on the network and using a separate guest network (where the car only has access to the internet, not the house network) is the answer.

For reference for those that haven’t seen other threads.

Orbi has lots of issues with the 2.1.x firmware, Netgear put the latest 2.0.x firmware up for people to try but you need to manually update it.

I tried it but still had a few issues, last night i telnet into the Orbi to split the SSID’s like we used to be able to in 1.x firmware to see if that helps but not tried it with the Tesla yet.

I currently use a powerline WiFi adapter that only the Tesla connects to and it’s been pretty solid, I disabled powersave in the car and although I lose a few miles a day it definitely stays connected to the WiFi for longer. As soon as I re-enable to Tesla powersave (with stay connected ticked) it’ll drop off the WiFi quite a bit.

Netgear are working on a 2.2.x firmware but not sure when it’ll be ready but some of the blogs for those that got a beta version by calling them said it’s an improvement.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I was worried about not getting a full signal from WiFi to the Model S in a separate garage even with 3 bars on my phone WiFi in the garage, the MS only saw one bar even with the garage door open. I purchased at Best Buy a Linksys AC750 Boost WiFi Range Extender model #RE6300. This plugged into the AC power outlet closest to the passenger side mirror that contains the MS WiFi antenna and was very easy to connect to the Guest account. This gave the MS full bars of signal with the garage door closed.

Since the delivery date, I have had the
1. Energy Savings enabled,
2. always connected disabled,
3. cabin overheat protection disabled,
4. TeslaFi puts the MS to sleep nightly with
5. HPWC programmed to start at midnight.

I get update notifications without problems with the above settings and hardware.

I am using Orbi sans openvpn, I don't have major connectivity issue with WIFI. Which firmware version you are on ? When I am on 2017.44, somehow I see my Tesla is connect to LTE rather than wifi often, though every IOT devices inside or outside the garage has no problem with connection.

After the update to 2018.xx, I rarely see the same observation. Do you have any satellite ? If yes, may worth to try move one to the garage.

If you have the hardware to do it I suggest creating a VLAN just for your cars. Connection issues aside it is the right thing to do from a security standpoint.
This is the same as using a guest network/SSID for the network illiterate or for those whose hardware doesn’t have the capability. :D There is no reason for your Tesla or other IoT devices (thermostat, refrigerator, etc.) to have access to the internal network.

This is the same as using a guest network/SSID for the network illiterate or for those whose hardware doesn’t have the capability. :D There is no reason for your Tesla or other IoT devices (thermostat, refrigerator, etc.) to have access to the internal network.

Not on Orbi it's not, there is not second VLAN created for Guest netowrk on Orbi's it's a kind of fake Guest Network. On other routers this is true though generally, where a separate VLAN is created.