Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi connection issue...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my PW2 since late July 2018 and at least the 1.15 release of the firmware. My Gateway is in a location that is very difficult to get an Ethernet cable to as it is in a far corner inside my garage while my battery portion hangs on a wall outside my house about 30 feet away.

Because of the distance from easy Ethernet connection, I have used WiFi to access the power flow screen typically shown when you connect to the Gateway through the TEG network. After my installation last year, I wasn't happy with just noting the Power Flow from my iPhone but also wanted to set up a small window on my PCs at the house to watch power usage and charging. Beside my main system, I have a couple of other small PCs throughout the house that have disparate monitor functions and adding a small Chrome window with the PW2 Power Flow information brings me satisfaction.

Each PW2 has a distinctive MAC address and I have mapped that in my router to a specific IP address so it is easy for me to set up a bookmark within Chrome on the various systems that then always go to the that Power Flow information.

I've had TWO consistent problems regarding this since last year:

1) The Gateway maintaining the password to get into the Customer side of the Gateway
2) The Gateway remembering the WiFi login and password from firmware release to release

The first issue has been around since 1.19 of the firmware. After a couple reboots of my router (which happens from time to time for disparate reasons), the Gateway will forget my password and when I go to retrain the Gateway with a new one, it will give me 'Toggle' errors. I've worked with PW2 tech support for many months about this error and it is real but there has been no solution to the problem as yet. What ends up happening is that I must reboot the Gateway (press in on the reset button on the unit) to allow a laptop connected to the TEG network to reset my password. This, because of TEG connection issues, can take over an hour to be fixed.

The second issue is that firmware updates will, at times, lose my WiFi login and password and, after the above issue is dealt with, must 'scan' for that network again. It often doesn't find my WiFi login (my locale is awash with different WiFi logins) for an hour or two, after which I can reconnect to it and all is well.

I'm wondering if anyone else has either of these issues. This has been a long-standing problem for my Gateway as to WiFi connection even as I have a Model 3 parked next to it that connects to the very same WiFi login almost immediately. Additionally, I have a Rachio sprinkler controller hung on the wall right next to the Gateway that immediately reconnects to the WiFi if my router resets. This seems to be a problem exclusive now to the Gateway of the PW2. In past iterations of the Model 3 firmware, there was quite a bit of lag waking it up in my garage to turn on climate controls but now it is very fast - so maybe Tesla can import some of that code over to the PW2 side to improve my connectivity.

Let me know if any of you have WiFi connection issues or lose your password over time. My current firmware is 1.34.2. Thanks