Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi Connection Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About a month ago I noticed there was an update. Tried to connect to the network however it wouldn't connect. I'm 100% sure the password is correct. Also tried to my hotspot. Still wouldn't connect.

I make an appointment for mobile service to come out. A day before the appointment the tech says that he has sent the update. So I installed it and canceled the appointment.

Now there is another update out and my car still can't connect to wifi. Does anyone know how I can fix it? Or should I schedule for service?

I had a similar problem with my new MS LR+ running the 2019 level software. I have many wifi SSID's in my neighborhood but none showed up including mine which has a strong transmitter. I finally used my iphone on Hotspot mode and stuck the phone near the passenger side mirror where I understand the wifi antenna is located. I finally got 2 bars of signal on the 2.4Ghz. It downloaded the update to 2020.12.1 and that fixed the Tesla signal problem and I was able to connect to my home wifi Router with full signal strength anywhere in my driveway.

Not sure if it is the same issue, but I had problem with wifi after update from v8 to v10 yesterday. The problem was that some script haven't copied new usb.ids file.

To fix it you have to replace /var/lib/usbutils/usb.ids with /usr/deploy/cid-var-files/lib/usbutils/usb.ids

• Helpful
Reactions: Art VandeIay
I had a similar problem with my new MS LR+ running the 2019 level software. I have many wifi SSID's in my neighborhood but none showed up including mine which has a strong transmitter. I finally used my iphone on Hotspot mode and stuck the phone near the passenger side mirror where I understand the wifi antenna is located. I finally got 2 bars of signal on the 2.4Ghz. It downloaded the update to 2020.12.1 and that fixed the Tesla signal problem and I was able to connect to my home wifi Router with full signal strength anywhere in my driveway.

Thanks for this. I was able to connect to my hotspot by putting my phone in the passenger door handle area. Finally updated after a while. Unbelievable how crappy the wifi signal is.

Reactions: TravelFree
The MCU1 in my car has been behaving a bit erratically recently.

Set the car to preheat to 74F 20 min before setting off to the food store. Found the car heater set to '''Hi"""

The WiFi receiver scanner in my car could not find any servers after the 2020.12.5 update a few days ago , so the usual reboots were done.

Checked the car's settings and came upon a report on the download screen that new navigation maps were available but WiFi was broken,so now that its working I hit the link to ask for a resend ...maps installed done.

2 wks ago my iPhone posted a message that Tesla wanted the location of my car could the App send it to the mothership? It sez it had LTE at the time so use it to read the GPS module.

Model S Raven. I have been having ongoing WiFi issues for a few months. Although at first I made no link, I now suspect that some updates failing midway through download were not Internet related but due to the car disconnecting.

First thing I noticed was that the MS R showed a much lower signal strength than 2017 MX MCU1. I have several SIDs and only the very strongest signals would show on the MS R.

I installed a new router next to the car, and even then the signal was not great. Now the signal strength is absolutely fine, I am seeing that the car stops connecting to WiFi. It won't even let you add the SID for the network. Just says try a different network name. SID not found.

However, a two button reboot and the car finds the WiFi immediately every time. Stays connected for a couple of days, then drops again. 2020.16.2.1

Just a note that with my Model3 and Virgin Hub4 in the UK, I had to set a static IP address for the tesla's mac address, then ensure WPA2-Personal only. Then add the network on the car (still doesn't connect), but on reboot of car it connects!! seemed so unlikely, but this method appears to work each time (I'd guess this is a wifi/DHCP handshake timing problem)

Well my MS is older and has the LG chipset, and I can tell you it is crappy, most especially with 5 gig wifi. I put a dedicated $39 TP-Link PoE 2.4 gig access point in my garage about 10 feet from the car, and I get full bars with 40 megabit speed. Not great but more than enough for all the needs of the car.

Reactions: Mercedes fan
Not sure if it is the same issue, but I had problem with wifi after update from v8 to v10 yesterday. The problem was that some script haven't copied new usb.ids file.

To fix it you have to replace /var/lib/usbutils/usb.ids with /usr/deploy/cid-var-files/lib/usbutils/usb.ids
Old thread I know, but nevertheless.
I got the same problem after updating to 2022.8.10.5 last week. I wonder if there is any way I can check the Scripts myself? I have lost both WiFI and Bluetooth after the last firmware update and Tesla Roadside Service says the car needs service. I have tried rebooting and the other tricks in the book as indicated but nothing has helped. This applies to a 2013 Model S out of warranty, so I'm willing to give it a shot myself first ...