Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi connection / Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I have had my Model 3 for about 1 month. I was having WiFi issues in general in my home and Spectrum installed a new router and modem. I did (just in case) add a WiFi extender in my garage. My car sees the correct WiFi with "full rainbow" service (with or without the extender), password is entered, then it drops to only one dot on the rainbow and just says connecting... and eventually goes back to LTE. Ugh! I've called Tesla service to troubleshoot and was surprised to hear they said I have 2 updates that have stopped or failed. My car did not indicate any missed updates and no notification on my Tesla app? I've tried everything including restarting router, disconnecting extender and same... stays on LTE. The router has the correct settings WPA2, 2.4 GHTz. Are there certain routers that just don't work with Tesla? Is this a Tesla problem or a Spectrum problem? I am seeing that updates do not REQUIRE WiFi but I find it interesting that I have 2 failed updates and wouldn't have even known if I didn't call Tesla support. It's going in for service on the 26th for a rattle in my window and I'll make sure they run any/all updates. Maybe when it's fully updated, the WiFi may work? Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

I've seen similar behavior when dealing with a strong signal from an access point, but a weak signal from a laptop. The laptop could see the connection available, but couldn't make or keep a connection to the access point. A hardware issue with the car could cause the same thing.

Have you tried connecting to any other WiFi networks? Maybe a friend's?

Are you able to create an isolated WiFi SSID/network (like a guest network) just for the Tesla? There’s a known issue with DLNA devices on the same network causing Tesla to drop out of the WiFi network. You may not be aware some of the devices in your home (like a smart TV) have dlna service.

I personally had this issue before and I ended up connecting to my isolated IoT WiFi network and the issue was solved.

When I was on the phone with Tesla support, he had me troubleshoot by connecting to my phone's WiFi hotspot. That worked perfectly! About a month ago when I first had the car, I had a different modem and WiFi. It connected instantly, but admittedly I never checked to see if every time I was in the garage the WiFi reconnected. I just assumed it did. The single update that I've received in the month I've had the car was successful on that initial WiFi. I'm confused as to why I wouldn't even know that my car is trying to update if I'm not getting any sort of notification. Why is it that I only know this by calling tech support?

When I was on the phone with Tesla support, he had me troubleshoot by connecting to my phone's WiFi hotspot. That worked perfectly! About a month ago when I first had the car, I had a different modem and WiFi. It connected instantly, but admittedly I never checked to see if every time I was in the garage the WiFi reconnected. I just assumed it did. The single update that I've received in the month I've had the car was successful on that initial WiFi. I'm confused as to why I wouldn't even know that my car is trying to update if I'm not getting any sort of notification. Why is it that I only know this by calling tech support?
This likely indicates you indeed have dlna devices on the home WiFi network which is why you are able to connect fine with hotspot that obviously doesn’t have other dlna devices on it.

From your described symptoms, I’d be willing to bet that you have a DLNA device on your home network that is causing problems with the Tesla WiFi connection (maybe a smart hub?).

If you have a spare wireless router, you can connect the spare router via Ethernet cable to your main router, and then connect the Tesla to the spare router wireless network. You may need to fiddle with router settings to ensure that IP address range for the spare router wireless network does not overlap with your primary router network, although my guess is you won’t have to go through that additional step (at least I didn’t). This setup fixed my connection problems which were being caused by the Wink hub on my primary network (a well documented problem).

From your described symptoms, I’d be willing to bet that you have a DLNA device on your home network that is causing problems with the Tesla WiFi connection (maybe a smart hub?).

If you have a spare wireless router, you can connect the spare router via Ethernet cable to your main router, and then connect the Tesla to the spare router wireless network. You may need to fiddle with router settings to ensure that IP address range for the spare router wireless network does not overlap with your primary router network, although my guess is you won’t have to go through that additional step (at least I didn’t). This setup fixed my connection problems which were being caused by the Wink hub on my primary network (a well documented problem).

I don't have a spare one but I suppose I could go buy one? First, I think I'll call Spectrum to see if they think this may be the problem and maybe they can create a work around for me. Thanks for the tip!

The car is going to go to sleep.It will disconnect from wireless. I'm not sure if the notification comes through cellular or a periodic wakeup, but it will then reconnect to wifi and download the update.
Just chill, v9 will eventually appear

I had the same problem and agree it's something to do with dlna devices on the network or something like that because nothing I tried worked including a router as a range extender using a wired backhaul.

What I did to solve it was to buy a cheap wireless router and run it in AP mode, not as a range extender. So your car gets saved an IP from another subnet and just takes another hop through your home network to get to the internet. I think you need a wired connection to run this AP that way, but is is dirt cheap at $23 and does the job fine. It took a couple of days and then V9 came!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F63CGMR

I had the same problem and agree it's something to do with dlna devices on the network or something like that because nothing I tried worked including a router as a range extender using a wired backhaul.

What I did to solve it was to buy a cheap wireless router and run it in AP mode, not as a range extender. So your car gets saved an IP from another subnet and just takes another hop through your home network to get to the internet. I think you need a wired connection to run this AP that way, but is is dirt cheap at $23 and does the job fine. It took a couple of days and then V9 came!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F63CGMR
This product you attached looks like an extender? Does it act as both it's own independent router and/or extender?

Has 3 modes. AP, bridge, and extender. has 2 ethernet ports and (at least) 2 radios.

OK... thank you so much for your help. I promise I'll drop this thread and stop bugging you with IT questions but one last thing... do you happen to know if I can use an ethernet port in my EXISTING modem to plug the 2nd modem into for a NEW and separate WiFi address? I think I only have 1 ethernet wall outlet. I don't think I can return that modem to Amazon if it doesn't work that way. Thanks again for your help!

It's no problem at all, but i don't fully understand the question. Can you clarify? By Modem do you mean router/ap?

Basically you configure an additional router/ap to be a new network with a new SSID, specifically for your car to use, that isolates it from your existing home network. The new router/ap uses your home network for it's WAN connection instead of an ISP. You just have to configure the new router to use a different subnet if it doesn't already.

So, the question is where can you plug the WAN port of the new router into, and I think you are asking if you can plug it into the router you already have to extend your network? If you can plug a laptop into it (wired) and it works, then yes you can do the same with the new car router/ap.

hth
charles

Charles, I guess I do mean router. :) When Spectrum made the recent changes this week... I went from one black box to 2 (separate modem and router). I truly appreciate your help. I'm going to first see if when my car goes in on the 26th, if the updates change anything with my current connection. If still no connection, I'll try your router suggestion and let you know if it works! Have a great weekend.

Ignorance is a terrible thing and I am guilty as charged. I have read over all of the above thread and I am still lost.

My car recognizes my wifi signal but won't accept my password to connect. I am at a loss. I admit to being a complete idiot in regards to all the tech stuff. I just want it to work! I am missing updates. Can somebody give me some step by step instructions for idiots (me) that might help me get passed this roadblock? I don't know if it is my router or the car and I don't know how to test either. I tried to connect the car to other public wifi like McDonald's and Starbucks but it won't connect there either.

I JUST WANT MY UPDATES!!!!

Thanks in advance

Dan