Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi Connection without reboot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the last 3 months my MS will only connect to WiFi if I reboot the center console. When I reboot it connects as soon as the screen gets back on. If I don't reboot and I even attempt to manually connect it will attempt, fail, ask for password, and still fail...
Is anyone else experiencing this behavior? Does anyone have a solution or workaround?

Thank you for any and all advice

Infuriating ...

The only thing I did was make sure the router doesn't have the IP saved.

Forget/remove network from the S and reboot. Reconfigure/add network in the S and give up trying because it will finally connect at some point. Kind of like Elon time.

If it's having issues connecting, you might have the DLNA problem. It won't run on a network with a server that publishes video (Tivos, Plex, etc). The answer is to put it on a guest wifi that only allows traffic to the Internet, since your Tesla doesn't need to access anything on your internal network. Tons of threads about this, can dig some up if needed.

It really should only take 15 seconds or so to establish the VPN connection to HQ. If it doesn't, it isn't going to. A reboot just restarts that process, but it doesn't fix the issue.

(And I have no idea what 'the router has the IP saved' means. I've been a computer system admin for 35 years. :D)

(And I have no idea what 'the router has the IP saved' means. I've been a computer system admin for 35 years. :D)

I assume he meant “does not have a static DHCP reservation” or something similar (Which is actually a useful feature so you know what ip your device(s) will have when they join the network without having to assign static IPs to everything). Not sure why this would make a difference though.

Reactions: steve841
I assume he meant “does not have a static DHCP reservation” or something similar (Which is actually a useful feature so you know what ip your device(s) will have when they join the network without having to assign static IPs to everything). Not sure why this would make a difference though.

Yes that's what I meant ... as for the reservation, on my router, I figured it would make a connection easier. Turned out, the S didn't seem to like that config.

Ah, thanks.. .yeah, if it had a reservation for the MAC address, I don't think it would care. It would also be useful for tracing what traffic the car is sending.

My setup is a little out of the norm in that the wifi is an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (been meaning to swap it for something more modern, but it works), connected to the normal/original Verizon FiOS router (with separate IP networks for each of these two units). All my Tivos are connected to the FiOS router, and all the Wifi devices are connected to the AEBS. So, in effect, I already have my separate network (separate for the video servers I was talking about).

So, my car has no issues connecting to wifi and then to the Internet. Many people have everything on one network (wifi is on the main router) and have the DLNA issue.

Hope that makes sense!

This seems like it is hit or miss.

I've got a wired router connected to a series of Airport Extremes and Expresses operating in bridge mode along with multiple TiVos.

So there is only one network, the Tesla is configured with a mapped DHCP address, and everything works fine.