Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi disconnects after 40 seconds. FW 5.12 bug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used to have my car connected and nothing changed except the firmware. v5.12 has some odd things going for it; since I started this thread my car will now connect when I prompt it, but not automatically like it used to, although it disconnects within seconds of me exiting the car.

Guess I'll just keep waiting for v6.0 OTA.

Just as a reminder, Tesla's Wifi only supports up to 802.11g, so if you have a router that is set to 802.11n mode only, it won't connect. Also, as a troubleshooting measure, you might try changing the SSID and/or password and see if it connects then.

I have Ubiquiti Unifi's and in earlier firmware, it was possible to turn on 802.11n only support and my Tesla wouldn't connect. Also, turning on features like HT40 (wide channels) might automatically disable 802.11b/g compatibility in some base stations.

Just as a reminder, Tesla's Wifi only supports up to 802.11g, so if you have a router that is set to 802.11n mode only, it won't connect. Also, as a troubleshooting measure, you might try changing the SSID and/or password and see if it connects then.

Thanks for the advice but none of my settings had changed, the only variable was the Tesla firmware version. I'm happy to report though that I installed v6.0 about 2hrs ago and that seems, at first glance, to have fixed the connection issue.