Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi enabled charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My city utility gives a larger rebate on charging installation if the wall connector is wifi enabled. As far as i know the Tesla wall connector cannot be wifi enabled, is this correct?

If i go with something like the Juicebox, is there any disadvantage of this over the Tesla connector?

The Tesla HWPC is definitely not able to be connected to the internet or managed remotely.

In my opinion the only downsides to using a third party J1772 charger are that you would need to use the J1772 to Tesla adapter each time you charge and that you don’t have a button on the charger to open the charge port door. You could always get a second J1772 to Tesla adapter to leave permanently installed on the charger, but that would eat into the money you saved by going with the third party option.

Well, *technicallty’, it’s connected to the car, which is connected to the Internet... :D (When it’s plugged into the car, it can be upgraded, etc., so therefore, it’s ‘connected’.)

What’s their rationale for this increased benefit for ‘connected’ EVSE’s? Some perceived more-useful technology down the road? Because on the face of it, they are prescribing themselves on paper out of recognizing ones like the HPWC that don’t use wifi but are connected, as I said. This is a perfect example of people that don’t know what they are doing writing ‘specs’ in regulations.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Ah, *they* want to control it, like the Air Conditioners some utilities can shut down in the daytime. Well, that makes more sense.

And I doubt I’d want my utility messing with my car.

And I’ve never heard of a utility having access to a wifi thermostat. Details?

Another thing to consider is that most of the 3rd party options max out at 32 amps. The HPWC can go much higher if you have juice.

With that said, I loved my ChargePoint. It worked well and I could share it with all EV owners. If I needed to, I could shut it off remotely. As a bonus, it sent data to my Nest so all of my charging was nicely wrapped up in a monthly report that told me exactly how much electricity Scarlett was chugging and estimated how much it cost. The app gave me daily and monthly breakdowns as well which was awesome when you're trying to explain the benefits of an EV to an ICE owner.

The only reason I switched was the wifey. We traded her car for an M3 and I quickly realized that sharing the charger with her was a major PITA. Getting 2 HPWC's and putting them both on my existing circuit was significantly less expensive than buying a 2nd ChargePoint and running another circuit to it. Plus, it's a 60 amp circuit so I was able to set them to 48 amps and charge faster.

FYI: I'd strongly recommend getting a 2nd adapter if you go this route. The convenience is more than worth it.

Our utility has the program called "A/C Cool Credit", which doesn't do anything related to anyone's thermostats in their houses. They just have a box that they install on the outside electrical line of the A/C unit itself. It's like a wireless relay, so they can remotely power off people's A/C units on some rotating schedule for 15 minutes at a time.