Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi extender please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks very much. My Netgear extender had both 2.4 and 5 ghz radios.
I was thinking about that, but @focher may still be correct. Even though your wireless device supports both frequencies, it may not do so optimally at the same time. In retrospect we could have asked you to turn off the 2.4 GHz radio in the extender (if possible) and then check speeds.

Regardless, you have a much better network now :)
@SpudLime floored me when he posted that he has 32 devices connected in his home. That is a lot of home functionality dependent on one piece of equipment, one internet connection, and one ISP. We are going to need to design some resiliency into our home networks soon.

I was thinking about that, but @focher may still be correct. Even though your wireless device supports both frequencies, it may not do so optimally at the same time. In retrospect we could have asked you to turn off the 2.4 GHz radio in the extender (if possible) and then check speeds.

Regardless, you have a much better network now :)
@SpudLime floored me when he posted that he has 32 devices connected in his home. That is a lot of home functionality dependent on one piece of equipment, one internet connection, and one ISP. We are going to need to design some resiliency into our home networks soon.
Thanks Sage. I never thought to turn off the 2.4 ghz radio on the extender because I wasn’t sure at the time that my 3 supported 5 ghz. According to the Google WiFi app the car is on 5ghz. I too thought about Spuds number of devices on his network. I have 30 devices on mine when I look at my Verizon router plus the Google WiFi. The bottom line is when my WiFi network is down I have no ability to control most of my devices. Some of them are hard wired Ethernet and some use RS 232, and the rest are WiFi. You are absolutely right. I have a Savant whole house entertainment system with three rooms plus SONOS throughout my house which creates its own proprietary mesh network. No WiFi no control. Yes to resiliency.
I’m lucky to have a whole house capable generator that runs on natural gas. If the power goes out (which it does a lot where I am) it’s only a few minutes till everything boots up again. And yes I now have a MUCH better network. Thanks again.

FIOS GB internet is plenty. Kids on xbox, ipad, wife on her macbook, me on my phone 4 cameras with constant stream, 2 nest thermostats, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Soon my refrigerator and toaster will be on wifi. /s

As long as my speed to the main router can handle all the devices, everything is good to go.

@hcdavis3 I thought you put everything on google wifi, I didnt realize you still kept some of your devices on the verizon wifi router. All good my man.

Reactions: hcdavis3
FIOS GB internet is plenty. Kids on xbox, ipad, wife on her macbook, me on my phone 4 cameras with constant stream, 2 nest thermostats, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Soon my refrigerator and toaster will be on wifi. /s

As long as my speed to the main router can handle all the devices, everything is good to go.

@hcdavis3 I thought you put everything on google wifi, I didnt realize you still kept some of your devices on the verizon wifi router. All good my man.
Thanks Spud. I’m still at the point of not wanting to piss my wife off with putting everything on Google WiFi. Everything is working great on both networks. I’m like you , I’d really like to see all my devices on one Fios 2.4 network

Thanks Spud. I’m still at the point of not wanting to piss my wife off with putting everything on Google WiFi. Everything is working great on both networks. I’m like you , I’d really like to see all my devices on one Fios 2.4 network
I’ve still got one device on my Netgear 2.4 band. Need to figure out what it is so I can switchboard its to Google and turn off the Netfear WiFi. Can’t seem to remember which it is so need to do some digging when I get back in town this weekend. The more I mess around with Google the more I like it.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3

Cool man. Maybe you can slow roll it. when you get bored switch over a device one at a time...
Bro, as long as you are happy, then I am happy.

*EDIT

whatthe2 had the same idea apparently.

I’ve still got one device on my Netgear 2.4 band. Need to figure out what it is so I can switchboard its to Google and turn off the Netfear WiFi. Can’t seem to remember which it is so need to do some digging when I get back in town this weekend. The more I mess around with Google the more I like it.

Reactions: whatthe2
I just got Google Nest WiFi and hooked it up to my 1gig FiOS. I turned the Verizon WiFi off. I only get 1gig on my hardwired Apple TV. I set up mesh Points in the garage and upstairs.

My phone is 500+ mbps in the room with Google router, but around 200 on points.

My M3 is only getting 110 mbps off a point in the garage.

What am I doing wrong?

E15839FE-62E8-40CD-8D41-F1B99FF24B79.jpeg

I just got Google Nest WiFi and hooked it up to my 1gig FiOS. I turned the Verizon WiFi off. I only get 1gig on my hardwired Apple TV. I set up mesh Points in the garage and upstairs.

What am I doing wrong?

View attachment 502645

Why do you need more than 100Mbps on your Tesla when it’s parked in your garage? It’s not going to get you updates any faster.

I feel like my car just has the flakiest wifi connection. Every other device works fine, my phone has no trouble getting the wifi while I'm sitting in the car but the car just itself won't connect or stay connected. I also have gigabit fios and just got the newest G3100 router. I even relocated it closer to the car (about 25 feet from inside my house to the car outside). The car sees the network prompts for password and then just spins or it connects and then a day later I come home and it doesn't automatically connect.

I was hoping Google Nest WiFi would offer a better experience.

Even Google can't beat physics

Wired connections are always going to be faster the wireless. Especially wireless in real life, where multiple wireless networks are sharing the same band of frequencies.

BTW: You should be using 5 GHz bands for best throughput and for least competition for frequency bands (instead of 2.4 GHz)

What am I doing wrong?

View attachment 502645

You could disconnect your car from the wifi and connect your phone and run a speed test on your phone to see what the speed difference is. That'll give you a better idea of what the speed could be at that distance. I've also been trying to figure out a good solution for extending my wifi a good 150ft. In my car I get like 5mb download at that distance... and it really sucks..... So turning off 2.4ghz might make 5ghz faster? I'll try that next.

fwiw, 5ghz only works well when you are REALLY close and have nothing between you and the other station.

it may seem count-intuitive but 2.4ghz may be better in many situations. a slow link speed but a more reliable *link* is better than a faster speed with more up/down breaks and reconnects.

wifi, on the car and displayed on the browser may not even be all that optimized. there's no good business reason for spending more time on wifi (getting max thruput) - what they would care about is that wifi is secure (has latest patches) and is reliable. its speed is way down on the list, for a busy understaffed company like tesla ;)

I use 2.4ghz for sw downloads and its just fine. no need for 5ghz bands. we are not torrenting movies here, afterall (we're not, right? just checking...)

Reactions: Phlier
fwiw, 5ghz only works well when you are REALLY close and have nothing between you and the other station.

it may seem count-intuitive but 2.4ghz may be better in many situations. a slow link speed but a more reliable *link* is better than a faster speed with more up/down breaks and reconnects.

wifi, on the car and displayed on the browser may not even be all that optimized. there's no good business reason for spending more time on wifi (getting max thruput) - what they would care about is that wifi is secure (has latest patches) and is reliable. its speed is way down on the list, for a busy understaffed company like tesla ;)

I use 2.4ghz for sw downloads and its just fine. no need for 5ghz bands. we are not torrenting movies here, afterall (we're not, right? just checking...)

For some reason I had trouble connecting to the 2.4ghz.. 5ghz was easier to connect too which yeah that does sound odd.

2.4ghz is very polluted. microwave ovens, zigbee/xbee, bluetooth, wifi. lots of crowding in 2.4ghz.

but lower freq is 'easier' to get distance on, as a general RF rule. so unless your 5ghz is pretty close by, its still worth trying to connect to a 2.4ghz access point. if its your phone that's being a hotspot, definitely go for 5.8ghz as that is the ideal use-case.

Reactions: Phlier