Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi extender please help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have issues connecting to a Model 3 via Google Nest?
I see some slow connection problems in this thread, but I just updated the router on my Google mesh from Wifi to Nest....no connection ever.
Every other device in the house connected automatically back or by readding it, except the Tesla.
The wifi in the car still works, tested w/ a hotspot on my phone, but it will NOT connect to he main or guest networks now that Nest is the router. My SSID is a single word, all lowercase, no spaces.

Anyone else have issues connecting to a Model 3 via Google Nest?
I see some slow connection problems in this thread, but I just updated the router on my Google mesh from Wifi to Nest....no connection ever.
Every other device in the house connected automatically back or by readding it, except the Tesla.
The wifi in the car still works, tested w/ a hotspot on my phone, but it will NOT connect to he main or guest networks now that Nest is the router. My SSID is a single word, all lowercase, no spaces.
As a data point mine works just fine. I’ve got a unit just inside my garage so it’s nice and close.

As a data point mine works just fine. I’ve got a unit just inside my garage so it’s nice and close.
Thanks for that, good to know. My mesh location hasnt changed, still using Fios fiber as my ISP....only the Nest changed.
I wish I had some error logs. :)
Anyone know whose support I should ping on this? Seems a bit like a Tesla problem, since they're the only device that wont connect.

Anyone know whose support I should ping on this? Seems a bit like a Tesla problem, since they're the only device that wont connect.

It doesn't matter who you reach out to: all will say it is the other company's problem.

When getting two company's blaming the other, I often fantasize about getting both support lines on at the same time and letting them hash it out. Ah, to dream...

I have had the same problem connecting to my Model 3 with a Netgear EX7700 extender. It finds the extender but cannot connect. Other devices can connect to the extender. I found two solutions without going down the mesh route. 1) connect another router as an access point to your extender using an ethernet cable and use a different DHCP (e.g. 10.1.x.x instead of 192.168.x.x) or 2) get a cheap booster. I got the SignalLink and it works flawlessly.

Note that even once connected, the Tesla frequently forgets it was connected. The only solution I found is to reboot by depressing the two buttons on the steering wheel. Tesla's implementation of WiFI sucks.

I have had the same problem using a NetGear EX7700 extender. Other devices can connect to the extender, but the Tesla cannot. I tried a lot of permutations of extender settings but none have worked.

I found two solutions: 1) Attach another router to the extender as an Access Point with an ethernet cable and have it use a different DHCP string (e.g. 10.1.x.x instead of 192.168.x.x) or 2) get a booster like a SignalLink to connect to your main router. This booster works flawlessly for connection, but I cannot see the Tesla in attached devices on my router.. I have not tried the TP-Link N300, but it seems similar.

Tesla WiFI has a lot to be desired.