Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi for update notifications?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You also get notified when you have an update queued for download, even if it's pulled before your get the chance to get your car on WiFi to download it, like I did last night :)
Not quite. You only get notified in the app after the update has been downloaded and is ready to install. The touchscreen will show you if there’s an update waiting to download. I think Tesla can recall the update even after it was downloaded (but not installed).

You also get notified when you have an update queued for download, even if it's pulled before your get the chance to get your car on WiFi to download
The car does however need some connection (mobile/cell or LTE) to see the update, then push the alert to your app.

Mine is regularly parked well underground with no connectivity and i don't get any notifications.

My Plaid bogs down the crappy internet we get from CenturyLink (12-20 mbps). We’re rural and have no other options. I have to turn off Wi-Fi or the whole house pays for our car hogging the bandwidth. Because the app gets a separate notification I get update available notices on the phone app and buried in the Software section of the car. So no you don’t have to be connected to wifi to be notified.

Been on the list for starlink for over two years.

Wow, so much back and forth on this thread. Hmm.... All I want to know is if I need to leave my phone in my car overnight with the car connected to the hotspot for it to get its update. :)
Well that's not what you asked. Plus you explicitly stated you ALREADY knew you needed wifi to download.

You will only get notified on your phone AFTER the update is downloaded.

In order for your car to display on the internal screen that an update is waiting to download, you do NOT need to be on wifi.

There is no way from your phone to tell that an update is WAITING to download.