Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi for Updates - Oahu

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I live in a townhome and my parking spot isn’t within range of my WiFi so I can’t update. Anyone know where I might be able to get some WiFi? The issue too is that if there’s a terms agreement when you connect to the WiFi, spectrum, Starbucks, the Tesla can’t connect. It says the feature isn’t supported. Thanks! My last resort might be knocking on the doors around my spot asking for passwords lolol

So I live in a townhome and my parking spot isn’t within range of my WiFi so I can’t update. Anyone know where I might be able to get some WiFi? The issue too is that if there’s a terms agreement when you connect to the WiFi, spectrum, Starbucks, the Tesla can’t connect. It says the feature isn’t supported. Thanks! My last resort might be knocking on the doors around my spot asking for passwords lolol

There's some details missing that prevents us from offering advice. Are you sure you can't use something at home temporarily? How far away is the car from your unit? If you switched to a powerful mesh wifi, you might consider moving one of the nodes out closer to the car for it to connect, then bring it back in. Or if there's a good place out there, hide it near/plugged in.

Like you already mentioned, it might be a best first idea to knock on some doors (with Liliha Bakery cocopuffs) and explain your situation. Someone just might let you piggyback their signal.

Some of those services where you are saying the Tesla can't connect? You first use your browser to establish the connection and you agree to its terms, then it lets you stay connected.

And not sure if it still the procedure, but if you use your cell phone to connect to your wifi, can't put the car in drive, else it disconnects. Is that what you have been experiencing?

Finally, desperate? Generally your car will auto connect to the Tesla SC wifi (or at least it used to do this), once you have a work ticket in their system. You might be able to drive down/by the SC, sit outside the gate, and open a ticket. It might (slim chance) connect and let you download.

Don't forget, you simply want the download, (watch for the little yellow alarm clock). Once its downloaded, you can go home and install. You need not sit there and perform the install.

Regarding the Tesla SC Wifi, you could also simply connect to their guest Wifi at the SC too. I don't recall what the SSID and password are, but it used to be on a sign in the waiting room (pre-COVID). Perhaps someone here will remember what it is.

Worst case scenario, you can make a service appointment to get your software update.

Regarding the Tesla SC Wifi, you could also simply connect to their guest Wifi at the SC too. I don't recall what the SSID and password are, but it used to be on a sign in the waiting room (pre-COVID). Perhaps someone here will remember what it is.

Worst case scenario, you can make a service appointment to get your software update.

1234abcd

I noticed this when I auto connected on my phone when I picked my car up. I don't recall which Tesla I originally got the code from, but it's the same.

There's some details missing that prevents us from offering advice. Are you sure you can't use something at home temporarily? How far away is the car from your unit? If you switched to a powerful mesh wifi, you might consider moving one of the nodes out closer to the car for it to connect, then bring it back in. Or if there's a good place out there, hide it near/plugged in.

Like you already mentioned, it might be a best first idea to knock on some doors (with Liliha Bakery cocopuffs) and explain your situation. Someone just might let you piggyback their signal.

Some of those services where you are saying the Tesla can't connect? You first use your browser to establish the connection and you agree to its terms, then it lets you stay connected.

And not sure if it still the procedure, but if you use your cell phone to connect to your wifi, can't put the car in drive, else it disconnects. Is that what you have been experiencing?

Finally, desperate? Generally your car will auto connect to the Tesla SC wifi (or at least it used to do this), once you have a work ticket in their system. You might be able to drive down/by the SC, sit outside the gate, and open a ticket. It might (slim chance) connect and let you download.

Don't forget, you simply want the download, (watch for the little yellow alarm clock). Once its downloaded, you can go home and install. You need not sit there and perform the install.

First, The wifi mesh thing isn't an option. The parking spot is about 200' from my house and around another building. There's no way to power a router/mesh outside.

Second, I tried the hotspot and the signal on my cell, while 5G (T-Mobile) has 2 bars, I was getting 46kbs down on the car and it was stuck. Left it out there for an hour.

When I try to connect to any wifi that has a T&C splash page, it get a message that its not able to connect because the login (splash T&C) feature isn't supported.

Honestly I am not super concerned. Just more of a, "if someone has a tip, great" I won't be here past April so I should be fine. Thanks everyone for the info and assistance!

Reactions: Akikiki