Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi Hotspot Install Location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I will be installing a new Blackvue Dashcam (Massdrop has the DR 750S 2 Channel 16gb going for $275 if you want one - Massdrop: Community-Driven Commerce) and I decided to order a FreedomPop Netgear Mingle (thanks @K-MTG for the recommendation via Bonanza for $35).

Wondering where folks are installing and how are you wiring for 24/7 power your Hotspots to support your Blackvues?

I plan on powering my Blackvue via the OBD port and I know there is a 12v always on power supply down there - maybe plugging it into the trunk 12v since that is always on? Correct?

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

So I will be installing a new Blackvue Dashcam (Massdrop has the DR 750S 2 Channel 16gb going for $275 if you want one - Massdrop: Community-Driven Commerce) and I decided to order a FreedomPop Netgear Mingle (thanks @K-MTG for the recommendation via Bonanza for $35).

Wondering where folks are installing and how are you wiring for 24/7 power your Hotspots to support your Blackvues?

I plan on powering my Blackvue via the OBD port and I know there is a 12v always on power supply down there - maybe plugging it into the trunk 12v since that is always on? Correct?

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

I would use OBD (the trunk was only active on early models). Use OBD for hotspot as well.

Reactions: CarsonGallo
I also picked up a Freedompop hotspot. (The Franklin). I ordered a OBD power cord and routed the cord across under the driver side dash to the center console insert. I have a '17 with the enclosed insert. I pulled all the "stuff" out and after popping the side panel off below and even with the cubby, I found a small hole from inside the insert going to the front of the car under the cubby. I pushed a flexible wire fish rod up and through the hole and taped the cord to it. Took some doing because the cord had a 90 degree mini-C connector, but have some new $2 cuss words, I managed to feed it through the hole. So, bottom line, my hotspot is powered and the cable is inside the center console insert. Allowed my to remove the hotspot battery and now does not get as hot.

I also picked up a Freedompop hotspot. (The Franklin). I ordered a OBD power cord and routed the cord across under the driver side dash to the center console insert. I have a '17 with the enclosed insert. I pulled all the "stuff" out and after popping the side panel off below and even with the cubby, I found a small hole from inside the insert going to the front of the car under the cubby. I pushed a flexible wire fish rod up and through the hole and taped the cord to it. Took some doing because the cord had a 90 degree mini-C connector, but have some new $2 cuss words, I managed to feed it through the hole. So, bottom line, my hotspot is powered and the cable is inside the center console insert. Allowed my to remove the hotspot battery and now does not get as hot.

The Franklin doesn't need a battery to operate?

Alcatel Ride-Fi Y856U Car LTE Modem **Top-Up Disabled**
FreedomPop Netgear Fuse LTE Hotspot **Top-Up Disabled**

Either one of these should work fine....but I actually switched over to the Ride-fi as the battery in those mobile hotspots swell overtime.

Wow, this is kinda hot! I'm not sure that I fully understand, but these come fully activated w/ 1GB / month? No credit card, account, etc needed, just plug and go at 1GB/month? That's pretty brilliant. For those w/ the 750-2CH, is 1GB/month enough for blackvue cloud?

gooch, you asked the really hard question. is 1 GB enough. My Freedompop Franklin is 500 MB, not 1 GB. And there's several threads on this on TMC. One of those treads had started before people got their Freedompop hotspot. It sounded like a great idea for bringing a Blackvue 750 online all the time. And it follows the story of those folks getting their hotspot and then using it. And a couple of people quickly reported back that their allotment was not enough. I can't speak from personal experience, because I didn't set mine up for an entire month because of those reports. So, you need to proceed with caution and review your usage.

And how does Freedompop go this? Well, they don't make all their money giving away service. You have to dig down (deep) into your account and make sure you have turned off/disabled the ancillary services that are automatically activated with your account that you must disable to get the very free stuff. There's barely no free lunch boys and girls. Mine really is free. Check your cc next month and the month after. But its worth the effort.

Reactions: thegooch49
Thanks @Akikiki. From the bonanza listing, these all say this:

"This is not a trial, and you will not have any monthly charges unless you both upgrade the plan and replace the credit card on file. The Netgear Fuse LTE has full support for Sprint LTE Plus and all Sprint LTE Bands. Top-Up is disabled on all hotspots sold through our booth."

So these seem like they come pre-configured out of the box, to be 100% free. No account. No top off cards. Nothing. These are ready to go. My question is more about the bonanza units specifically, and how these work. My understanding is that I would order one, plug it in, and get 1GB/month with zero configuration.

For those that have ordered these units from Bonanza, is this correct?

gooch, you asked the really hard question. is 1 GB enough. My Freedompop Franklin is 500 MB, not 1 GB. And there's several threads on this on TMC. One of those treads had started before people got their Freedompop hotspot. It sounded like a great idea for bringing a Blackvue 750 online all the time. And it follows the story of those folks getting their hotspot and then using it. And a couple of people quickly reported back that their allotment was not enough. I can't speak from personal experience, because I didn't set mine up for an entire month because of those reports. So, you need to proceed with caution and review your usage.

And how does Freedompop go this? Well, they don't make all their money giving away service. You have to dig down (deep) into your account and make sure you have turned off/disabled the ancillary services that are automatically activated with your account that you must disable to get the very free stuff. There's barely no free lunch boys and girls. Mine really is free. Check your cc next month and the month after. But its worth the effort.
So, the one-time buy of $50 get's you 1GB of hotspot that resets monthly at no additional cost?

So, the one-time buy of $50 get's you 1GB of hotspot that resets monthly at no additional cost?

Yep, that's my understanding. I just ordered the Alcatel Ride-Fi. Looks like zero installation, it just sits in the cig lighter. These are good for 1GB / Month, then simply stop transmitting data (until the following month). Usually, there is a "top off" that kicks in once you reach 1GB, and it's pay as you go. These have this disabled, and you do not link a credit card to your account. The seller on bonanza has a really nice outline of exactly what is going on, at this reddit post. There is some good Q&A that follows:

Want to buy FreedomPop but not have to worry about charges? Is 500MB to small for free? Read here • r/freedompop

From bonanza you don't have to worry about CC or any setup...comes activated with 1 gig per month for life. They also have a data sim from freedompop (on ATT) with 700 MB for free for life.

Yeah, this seems like a no-brainer. Great deal. My main worry is if 1GB will be enough for the BV 750-2CH for Blackvue cloud. You can join the 750 to 3 different AP's. It will connect to them in order of preference AP1, AP2, AP3. AP1 will be my home, AP2 will be the Alcatel Ride-Fi (while mobile away from home). We'll see how quickly I hit 1GB.

Yeah, this seems like a no-brainer. Great deal. My main worry is if 1GB will be enough for the BV 750-2CH for Blackvue cloud. You can join the 750 to 3 different AP's. It will connect to them in order of preference AP1, AP2, AP3. AP1 will be my home, AP2 will be the Alcatel Ride-Fi (while mobile away from home). We'll see how quickly I hit 1GB.

Actually if you opt for the Alcatel Ride-Fi...then that can be your only AP your DR750S joins. Since the Ride-Fi goes to sleep 30 minutes after inactivity (so you have to press the button on it to wake it up). The other battery hotspots don't have this issue...but personally when I am at home and need to access the dashcam...I just connect directly to the dash cam's wifi instead of (cloud). So this isn't really an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: thegooch49
Actually if you opt for the Alcatel Ride-Fi...then that can be your only AP your DR750S joins. Since the Ride-Fi goes to sleep 30 minutes after inactivity (so you have to press the button on it to wake it up). The other battery hotspots don't have this issue...but personally when I am at home and need to access the dashcam...I just connect directly to the dash cam's wifi instead of (cloud). So this isn't really an issue.

Thanks for the info. If Ride-Fi is my only AP, any idea how much a 2-channel 750 will use in data per month?

Does anyone know which FreedomPop hotspots turn on automatically when power is connected? Do Netgear Mingle (battery) and Franklin usb ones also have power buttons that must be pressed to turn on (like Alcatel cigarette plug model)? Want something that will turn on automatically when power is supplied, so you don't have to manually press/turn on every time you want to start the hotspot for Dashcam connection. Thank you!

Does anyone know which FreedomPop hotspots turn on automatically when power is connected? Do Netgear Mingle (battery) and Franklin usb ones also have power buttons that must be pressed to turn on (like Alcatel cigarette plug model)? Want something that will turn on automatically when power is supplied, so you don't have to manually press/turn on every time you want to start the hotspot for Dashcam connection. Thank you!

The Netgear Mingle turns on when power is applied...you have to push the button on the Alcatel.