Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi in NYC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gents/Ladies - looking for any tips for NYC owners w/o constant access to WIFI. Haven't been able to upgrade to V9 yet and don't have great go to for car to connect to WIFI. Live in Tribeca / park right near west side highway near Canal. If anyone had any places to recommend, would be greatly appreciated.

1 year in, still the best decision I've ever made. Love it soooo much.

I've tried and have never had the car pull a software update over phone. Now don't know if thats because one wasn't waiting or if the phones signal isn't strong enough, but have not had any luck with that so far. Have people had luck using phone as wifi hot spot for software updates? It's an iPhone 8 + on AT&T.

That's my 'failsafe'. Probably ~20min drive to there. Certainly not end of world, ideally find something closer but certainly not worst option. Theres a coffee shop on my street that has wifi I can connect to, but tough to get a spot close enough. Will probably end up doing BK route, the struggles we go through...

I wouldn’t sweat it. WiFi Is faster of course, but updates will be delivered over cellular just fine. I’ve actually received a map update during a road trip, stopped for lunch. You will get the upgrade with or without WiFi

Not really, LTE is often faster than mobile WiFi. It just costs more, but that is a Tesla expense in this case. Perhaps that is the reason for the recommendation.

That’s not correct. WiFi is always prioritized for software updates. Tesla’s FAQ confirms this - see below.

@TheU, definitely worth a trip to some place with dedicated wifi.

How do I get software updates and how long do they take?
Your car receives these updates automatically when connected to WiFi. When you receive a notification that an update is available, you can choose to install it immediately or schedule for a later time. The time it takes to complete installing a software update can vary, and the notification will give you an estimate. Cars that are not connected to WiFi will take longer to receive updates.

Reactions: TheU