TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

WIFI is a hot mess

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Dj B, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Dj B

Dj B Member

If anyone has any insight please chime in. My wifi is terribly slow on my home network, when it connects. Furthermore, when I search for networks, all available only show 2 bars. My neighbors 3 doors down have the same signal strength as the $300 router placed 5 feet over my X. My laptop and cell both show full bars, but the X shows 2. Also, when it does connect and I get slow service, the WiFi indicator on the top right corner of the screen gives zero indication of strength (no bars light up). I'm not sure if this means the LTE is running in the background and I'm not actually connected to wifi, or the WiFi unit in my X is a lemon. I took a pic so can all see what I'm referring to. Furthered, I'm only showing b/g signals, no A/N/ACI.

Any help is really appreciated.

And yes, I have rebooted and reset everything twice before posting this

2. Dj B

Dj B Member

3. balefire

balefire Member

Why use wifi? The 4g LTE cell works great. If Tesla eventually charges for cell service, then it would be more than important...

If you are bent on using wifi, most routers works better going up and out instead of down. I would relocate the router to the 1st floor or get a wifi mesh network.

But again, I just use 4g

4. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

My (2015) Model S has the same issue. Very annoying.

The WiFi antenna is located inside the right (passenger) side mirror assembly. Poor signal must be due to unfortunate antenna placement/surroundings or low quality antenna hardware, I assume ...

5. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

WiFi-antenna should be one of the white "sheets" in the image below:

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
  6. Dj B

Dj B Member

The AT&T LTE has no service at my house. So if I can't get wifi to work I am totally without connection to my car. Has anyone else with this problem found a solution?

7. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I had a lot of problems, but then my house is pretty much a Faraday cage. I located a range extender near the car and it was, by coincidence, near the passenger mirror. Works great.

8. grommet

grommet Member

The SOC in the Tesla is vintage, and we're stuck with it's aging WiFi capabilities. It's plain 802.11g (& 2.4Ghz) only. Performance is poor, and it's the only G device I have left. The Model 3 should have something far more modern. Hopefully the Model S and X will get a new computer eventually, too. For now, you'll just need to "fix" your WiFi infrastructure to compensate for it.