Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi issues solved the hard way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Numerous threads on this over the past several years about certain networks/configurations not playing nice with the Tesla. In my case the combination of Wink Hubs and Orbi WiFi sent my two Tesla’s into the WiFi/LTE connection reset death spiral. Solved eventually by putting a legacy router on a different subnet but as I’ve said before you shouldn’t have to be a network engineer to attach your car to a WiFi network successfully. That being said, Wink is apparently the lead bad actor here as removing the hubs solves the problem too. But that doesn’t work either from the standpoint of needing everything I have to just get along. But as a note and not an ad, changing to the Orbi Pro is a reasonable (albeit expensive eg "hard") solution, as it provides for three separate networks with absolute separation between them. So you can have a main network, guest network and "Tesla" network with each being isolated from each other’s traffic. So if DNLA or Wink or whatever is borking your Tesla connection, you can keep all of that away in a manner that the regular Orbi can’t provide. I set it up and Tesla now has rock steady WiFi connection (with the satellite inside the house 25 feet away vs having to run an extender into the garage 6 feet from the right mirror in my previous setup). Many other solutions obviously and Orbi/Pro has its cons as well to consider but worked for me so just passing along.

• Informative
Reactions: MacGreiner
I am starting to get the dreaded non-consistent wifi with my standard Orbi - using the guest network function.
Frustrating as hell.

Guest network doesn’t help on the standard Orbi, as there is no traffic isolation between the main and guest networks. So whatever is happening on your main network is also happening on the guest network and v.v.

CFBC4E2D-621B-4E04-89D8-337E46D790DE.jpeg
Amplifi fixed ALL of my WiFi problems with our Tesla’s. Created an isolated guest network that only our cars connect to and not a single issue since. Before that...same as OP and nothIng would solve it. Even did a hop from the Grand Central Station to keep it isolated and full strength because of distance.