Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having major wifi connection issues since getting this car where it will tell me to check dhcp settings. Sometimes it will connect after turning the wifi back off and on again, most of the time it requires rebooting the touch screen to get it to connect. I see this most when going into reverse or drive and connecting my wifi hotspot. Anyone have a solution for this?

Tesla is essentially washing their hands of this saying that wifi is not supposed to be connected while driving.

Yes they are correct. The car is not configured to use wifi when driving. For a long time wifi would not work when you put the car in gear. It was just a short time ago that you are able to reconnect. But like it or not, that's normal.

Same issues here, wifi router right near the front door with the car parked on the driveway.

My wifi connects and I get the little green tick but after about 20 seconds I get the 'check DCHP server settings' prompt. I will happily go into my router/internet settings but what am I actually 'checking'? Does anyone know what this needs to be? I have a BT Smart Hub.

Same issues here, wifi router right near the front door with the car parked on the driveway.

My wifi connects and I get the little green tick but after about 20 seconds I get the 'check DCHP server settings' prompt. I will happily go into my router/internet settings but what am I actually 'checking'? Does anyone know what this needs to be? I have a BT Smart Hub.

No, you don't need to do that. The settings are proper if it works with your phone.

What that means is that the messages are getting dropped due to weak signal / weak antenna on the Tesla. How far from the door is your car?

No, you don't need to do that. The settings are proper if it works with your phone.

What that means is that the messages are getting dropped due to weak signal / weak antenna on the Tesla. How far from the door is your car?
I'm not saying this is incorrect, but I get this message when connecting to my phone hotspot that is in the car with me.

If you have a dual band router and the 5ghz signal is weak where you park your car, the car seems to stick to the unusable 5ghz signal, I had that problem, in the router settings if you have the option for band steering set your model 3 as 2.4ghz only, see if that helps

Reactions: tstolze