TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

WiFi Mac Address

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Randy Spencer, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Member

So now that we can turn on WiFi I want to have my router track the traffic to my car. I am having issues figuring out my router, so perhaps it would help if I could be sure WHICH address it is talking to belongs to my car. I read somewhere that you can find the address by going to WiFi icon -> WiFi Settings -> ℹ️ icon and it will show the address next to it but I get:

C9151D8D-0C6A-4344-9EDF-3BDE8D298036.jpeg

Mac Address: not available

-Randy

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Check on router side for 90:3A:...DD” that should be the Tesla

• Informative x 2
  3. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

The wifi MAC address doesn't how up in my UI either. The way to find it would be to look at the IP addresses that have been assigned by your router. (Every networked device in my home network is assigned a static IP, so when I connected the Model 3 for the first time, it was easy to find.) The wifi adapter is made by LG (as opposed to Parrot for the Model S) and mine starts with B4:E6:2A. If you don't know how to work your router, you can run an app called Fing while connected to your network to find it.

• Informative x 1
  4. outie

outie Active Member

That’s for old mcu1/parrot chipset.

Mcu2 for my X is by Lg:
    7c:1c:xx:xx:xx:xx

• Informative x 1
  5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Ok so three hardware types

Parrot - S X
    LG - 3
    LG - MCU2 S X

Man the things I learn here :oops:

6. RayK

RayK Member

My car is reporting a MAC address starting with 7C:1C:4E (LG Innotek). As an aside, it is also having problems connecting with my WiFi router. Initially my router wasn't even being reported as a "seen" access point until I changed the transmit channel from 1 to 6. I made this determination by looking at the APs in the neighborhood that my car was listing and noticing that they were all on 6. The car is sitting in my driveway and the access point is in the bedroom closest to it (about 40' away). The signal strength of my AP listed in my car is a little lower than the other APs around me, although mine should be the strongest simply due to the distance involved. I did see the green check mark next to my AP name one time for just a few seconds. And each time I try to enable WiFi, it still is asking for my password. Still trying to figure out what the problem is.

My access point settings:
    Linksys WRT54G running standard firmware (v4.20)
    Broadcasting SSID
    WPA2 Personal / AES
    DHCP (192.168.0.x)
    No MAC address restrictions
    Now on channel 6

7. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

Maybe a router upgrade is in order? The WRT54G is like 15 year old tech. Even though it's physically closest, it's probably not the most powerful and the signal could be getting interfered with by the other routers. It sounds like you purposefully switched to a more crowded channel (6) just because the other routers were also on 6, which isn't going to help. I'm sure someone with better technical knowledge of routers will explain better.

8. RayK

RayK Member

Maybe you missed my main point about the WiFi in my car... It did not even SEE my router when it was broadcasting on channel 1. At the time, it was the strongest signal in the area of my car on that channel; I have an app on my tablet which shows the signal strength of each AP. My plan is to try changing my AP to channel 11 and see if my car can see it there. If not, then I'd have to say that my car is blind to anything on the outer edges of the 802.11g band.

Yes I know that the WRT54G is ancient tech but it works for me (at least up to now).