Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi not connecting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have issues with this recently? I was having no issues for months connecting my phone as a hotspot. Might take two tries to connect, but otherwise fine and the past two days I've had to reset the touch screen to get the wifi to connect which I had to do previously a number of months back.

Anyone have issues with this recently? I was having no issues for months connecting my phone as a hotspot. Might take two tries to connect, but otherwise fine and the past two days I've had to reset the touch screen to get the wifi to connect which I had to do previously a number of months back.

I was having this issue about a week ago too. It would keep connecting/disconnecting to my iphone hot spot. Did the reset a couple of times and it would connect finally. Over the last week though it has seemed to stay connected to the hotspot now. Maybe give it some time. I am thinking that either the reset fixed it or when the car went to sleep for awhile it might of fixed it.

so mine would connect for a second, then drop the connection, then connect, then drop. I reset the touch screen and it connects fine, but then the next day it did it again. I'll see if it keeps doing it. The thing is when I contacted Tesla about it previously, they said that its not supposed to work when the car is moving and thats why it doesn't work which was laughable, but I'll have to make sure it won't work when its stationary to get mobile service to come in 2 months to actually fix it. Mobile service great idea in theory, terrible reality at least around here.

I think I just jinxed myself. Today the car is doing exactly like before. Keeps connecting and disconnecting from the hotspot. I do have a feeling it was one of the latest software update that did something. Never had this issue before. Hopefully this gets fixed. Until then I will do a hard reset of the phone and car and see what that does.

Yes, I have continous troubles too since 6 weeks or so. Connects fine to telephone wifi hotspot, but connecting to my home wifi, which is only 3m through a glass door, is not realized automatically. Often not even by manual searching. And even if the available wifi names are displayed, it keeps asking an already known password after selecting one of them. Only after screen reset, an automatic connection was effected. Later on, again no automatic connection. This morning, a yellow arrow showed in screen top, telling me that a software update is available, so last night again no automatic wifi connection...

Personal (likely unpopular) opinion inc...
==============================

I have always been surprised that this works at all (connecting the car wifi to a mobile hotspot to avoid paying for premium connectivity). Note, I am not saying I am unhappy it works, I am just surprised that tesla even allows this at all.

I doubt they spend much energy at all on improving this, and I am not surprised in the slightest in the fact that the stability comes and goes as tesla applies this or that software update. I hope they improve the stability for those of you who want to use your hotspot this way, but I wouldnt hold my breath for them to improve this functionality much.

Personal (likely unpopular) opinion inc...
==============================

I have always been surprised that this works at all (connecting the car wifi to a mobile hotspot to avoid paying for premium connectivity). Note, I am not saying I am unhappy it works, I am just surprised that tesla even allows this at all.

I doubt they spend much energy at all on improving this, and I am not surprised in the slightest in the fact that the stability comes and goes as tesla applies this or that software update. I hope they improve the stability for those of you who want to use your hotspot this way, but I wouldnt hold my breath for them to improve this functionality much.

Yeah I get it and I agree with you. Tesla wants us to buy the premium connectivity and in all honesty it does make everything a lot easier then connecting to a hotspot. I did paid for a couple months but just didn't find it to be worth it though. The colored traffic overlays are just a joke. Over half the time there is never any traffic where it says there is. How about Tesla fixes this and makes it more accurate??? The Satellite map is nice to be able to see a overhead but not a huge deal for me. I mean just connecting to the streaming music instantaneously is the best part of the premium connectivity but it wasn't enough to keep me paying $10/month for just ANOTHER service. I have no problem just hitting a couple of buttons to connect to the hotspot. I would however probably pay for a month if I was planning on a road trip to make things easier.

I really hate that we have pivoted as a society to this "death by 1000 cuts" monthly subscription philosophy, rather than buying stuff. I avoid monthly subscriptions where I can. It annoys me that I need to pay $10 a month for premium connectivity. It would bother me less if I could pay $120 a year, so not have to see it every month.

It would bother me even less if I could pay 2-300 for "lifetime" connectivity, but thats a personal choice on my part. The premium connectivity itself is worth paying for (or it was when I was going into the office every day, at least), because it made streaming netflix or youtube simple. That alone was worth the cost of a fast food meal a month ($10 = pretty much a meal at a local fast food place).

Now that I am not going into the office as much at all, its worth a bit less to me, but tesla does so poorly at administrative tasks like starting and stopping things, I havent canceled it because if I do, I am fearful that when i want it back, it will be a hassle to get back.

Anyway, I hope this works better for those of you who want to use it.

Its offensive to me that they would charge when no one else does. Its really offensive that other cars have nice colorful maps but I"m supposed to pay extra for that. I love the car, but the service sucks at least here, is like having a honda and dealing with the nonsense at the dealership, and other things like this nonsense just make me want to hit my head against the wall.

Its offensive to me that they would charge when no one else does. Its really offensive that other cars have nice colorful maps but I"m supposed to pay extra for that. I love the car, but the service sucks at least here, is like having a honda and dealing with the nonsense at the dealership, and other things like this nonsense just make me want to hit my head against the wall.

No other company offers streaming of netflix or youtube natively on the screen included in the charge, and yes, other companies charge for data used in the car if you want to surf the net or whatnot (audi and bmw absolutely have a charge for that, it just comes free in the beginning on BMWs part, and on audi's part they have a connectivity charge for surfing etc.

Audi and BMW also have no way to avoid said charge (there is no piggybacking on using your own hotspot).

That part is fine, in my opinion. The more questionable part is lumping traffic in with the "charged for" premium connectivity. I can see the argument there, and would tend to agree with that postiion (that traffic could be included with the car), but the statement other companies dont charge for connectivity isnt correct.

EDIT... let me edit this to say that, of course, what people feel passionately about is up to them, so I am not trying to tell you that you are wrong for being upset about it. Just that other car companies do charge for connectivity.

I had a problem that I think was related to an Anker USB hub I had in the car. Once removed the problems went away. Not sure if it was just a coincidence or not but some Amazon reviews were saying the hub really tore up the 2.4 GHz band. I took the hub apart and there was no shielding it in.

No other company offers streaming of netflix or youtube natively on the screen included in the charge, and yes, other companies charge for data used in the car if you want to surf the net or whatnot (audi and bmw absolutely have a charge for that, it just comes free in the beginning on BMWs part, and on audi's part they have a connectivity charge for surfing etc.

Audi and BMW also have no way to avoid said charge (there is no piggybacking on using your own hotspot).

That part is fine, in my opinion. The more questionable part is lumping traffic in with the "charged for" premium connectivity. I can see the argument there, and would tend to agree with that postiion (that traffic could be included with the car), but the statement other companies dont charge for connectivity isnt correct.

EDIT... let me edit this to say that, of course, what people feel passionately about is up to them, so I am not trying to tell you that you are wrong for being upset about it. Just that other car companies do charge for connectivity.

They are charging you to pay for your own subscription to spotify or netflix and use it in your car. That is ridiculous and they could have a system that easily lets you mirror your phone on the screen or whatever. Point being, they aren't giving anything but connectivity to the services that we already have through wifi.