Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi not turning in automatically

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot figure out the logic behind when WiFi switches on or off for my M3, and hoping someone can help

I don't have premium connectivity, so when I get in my car, I set up a hot spot with my phone, with the intention of the car connecting to the WiFi.

Every time I get in the car, I have to switch on WiFi in the settings menu. Should it not come on automatically?

Reactions: beachmiles
In my experience the past 12 months it'll automatically connect to any WiFi network in range, as long as you have the "stay connected" setting turned on for each network including Hotspots. Otherwise it'll always stay on LTE.

As long as I remember to turn my phone hotspot on it'll connect as soon as I get in the car. Or if I park outside my house it'll instantly connect to the home WiFi as soon as I park up.

Upvote 0
In my experience the past 12 months it'll automatically connect to any WiFi network in range, as long as you have the "stay connected" setting turned on for each network including Hotspots. Otherwise it'll always stay on LTE.

As long as I remember to turn my phone hotspot on it'll connect as soon as I get in the car. Or if I park outside my house it'll instantly connect to the home WiFi as soon as I park up.

You mention that 'stay connected' needs to be set for each WiFi. I have it set for my hot spot, but not my home WiFi. Maybe I should give more details/examples

1 I drive somewhere (lets say to the shops) with the car WiFi on, and connected to my phones hot spot
2. The WiFi setting for this connection is set to 'stay connected'
3. When I get to the shops, I just get out of the car and walk away ,don't change any settings on the phone or the car
4. When I get back to the car, while still in park, the car WiFi is off, and so I have to turn it on (phone hotspot still enabled). The car then connects immediately

Upvote 0
You mention that 'stay connected' needs to be set for each WiFi. I have it set for my hot spot, but not my home WiFi. Maybe I should give more details/examples

1 I drive somewhere (lets say to the shops) with the car WiFi on, and connected to my phones hot spot
2. The WiFi setting for this connection is set to 'stay connected'
3. When I get to the shops, I just get out of the car and walk away ,don't change any settings on the phone or the car
4. When I get back to the car, while still in park, the car WiFi is off, and so I have to turn it on (phone hotspot still enabled). The car then connects immediately
I have the same problem, no fix so far
I tried rebooting too..

Upvote 0
I get this all the time at home - if I park the car up and check if wifi is connected it tells me wifi is "off" - when I move the slider to "on" - it goes back to off and says "car will connect to wifi after next drive" (or words to that effect) - which it doesn't ! If I reboot it seems to work for a while and then revert to the behaviour I described. I have good wifi where I park - its quite close to my router and when it connects it sees a full strength signal.

Upvote 0
I get this all the time at home - if I park the car up and check if wifi is connected it tells me wifi is "off" - when I move the slider to "on" - it goes back to off and says "car will connect to wifi after next drive" (or words to that effect) - which it doesn't ! If I reboot it seems to work for a while and then revert to the behaviour I described. I have good wifi where I park - its quite close to my router and when it connects it sees a full strength signal.
I had exactly this happen for the first time last week and, like you, it wouldn't reconnect until a scrollwheel reset fixed it.

It hasn't recurred, though I have noticed it now takes a variable amount of time to connect to my WiFi when I return home - from a few seconds to a couple of minutes.

Seems to me they've introduced some instability in the WiFi in a recent s/w update.

Upvote 0