Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi Proxy Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a unique situation and wanted clarity on if anyone is aware of a workaround.

I have an old grandfathered mobile data plan through T-Mobile in which I pay only $5 a month for truly unthrottled, unlimited 5G mmWave and midband internet with my S21 Ultra capable of getting at times 650 mbps download speeds. Needless to say it is an amazing deal that I have had for years and won't change due to the convenience and price.

The only catch with this plan is that it does not come with any mobile hotspot data natively. I am able to use hotspot through a 3rd party app but it requires me to use a proxy server by the device I am using to access the internet. This is of course very easy on a computer or iPad for example but I have not found a way to do it on the Tesla.

I have premium connectivity for free on my car till the fall of 2022 and I plan on keeping this afterwards but wanted to be able to tether my phone to my car to have full quality Tidal streaming. Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome!

I have premium connectivity for free on my car till the fall of 2022 and I plan on keeping this afterwards but wanted to be able to tether my phone to my car to have full quality Tidal streaming. Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome!
If you're using Bluetooth to stream Tidal from your phone, you'll get better quality using the new built-in Tidal app from Tesla, which you can do if you're keeping Premium Connectivity. If you meant something else, please clarify.

I have a unique situation and wanted clarity on if anyone is aware of a workaround.

I have an old grandfathered mobile data plan through T-Mobile in which I pay only $5 a month for truly unthrottled, unlimited 5G mmWave and midband internet with my S21 Ultra capable of getting at times 650 mbps download speeds. Needless to say it is an amazing deal that I have had for years and won't change due to the convenience and price.

The only catch with this plan is that it does not come with any mobile hotspot data natively. I am able to use hotspot through a 3rd party app but it requires me to use a proxy server by the device I am using to access the internet. This is of course very easy on a computer or iPad for example but I have not found a way to do it on the Tesla.

get a router, set up the proxy in there and set up a wifi network.

Reactions: kriskros91
If you're using Bluetooth to stream Tidal from your phone, you'll get better quality using the new built-in Tidal app from Tesla, which you can do if you're keeping Premium Connectivity. If you meant something else, please clarify.
I was under the impression that Hifi quality was only available when streaming over wifi. I wanted to avoid connecting to my phone over Bluetooth since I like the functionality of having the Tidal app on Tesla itself.

This is a bit premature as I haven't gotten FSD 10.8 so I don't yet have Tidal but I've been thinking about this issue for some time.

Have you figure a solution?