Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi remain connected in drive.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I select the remain connected in drive which should stop it from disconnecting wifi when you shift out of park, but it works when it feels like it. Does anyone know how to make it work correctly? I have me hotspot wifi selected with remain connected in drive but I keep having to turn on wifi when out and half the time at home too. At home I selected remain remain connected on my home network too but still having troubles

The WiFi in the Model 3 is very hit-and-miss. First of all, I'm assuming you're using your phone as the hotspot when trying to drive?
Where are you keeping your phone and secondly how good is your signal when out?

Where is this setting? I've been using TeslAA and find that whenever I move into D from P the Wifi gets turned off. I'd love to have it not do that.
From the "Connecting to Wi-Fi" section of the Manual:

Hotspots.PNG

Per my screenshot: That option doesn't appear to exist for me in my 2022 M3LR
What firmware version are you on? If you are still on the original version that your car came with (most likely V10) then most likely you don't have the ability yet as it came out with V11.

If you look at the app on your phone (assuming you aren't in your car), you can scroll to the bottom of the main screen and it gives a "Version" - what is that?

Also, if your main pop up screen in your car (when you tap the car icon on the bottom left corner of the screen) does at all look like my first screenshot (minus the drop-down), that would also indicate you aren't on V11.

Okay, from reading that thread, it sounds like it is V11 as it has all of the other V11 updates, but I am not sure if it is still considered a "Factory" version and for some reason suppresses this one feature (it would be quite odd if it did).

In looking at your screen again, the only thing I can guess is that since the "R" network doesn't have any security (WPA, etc.) that is may not allow you to remain connected (just a guess on my part). I would set that up (it's a good safety measure) and see if it makes a difference. Or, connect to a secure network and see if you have that checkbox.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
FYI, I believe the option to remain connected while in drive only appears for secured Wi-Fi networks. This is probably to prevent people from connecting to city-wide free WISPs. Just a guess?

For example if you figure out how to connect your car to “xfinitywifi” you won’t have the option to remain connected while in drive.

Can anyone else confirm my speculation?