Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi Router chatter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are some of the best routers for monitoring wifi usage of a Tesla? I've got an Arris SB7800 modem and a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router which has very limited traffic monitoring. Just bought a Google Wifi router but am having difficulty making everything play nice together.

So I went with Google Wifi. Really liked the ability to view historical download activity. Downside is that the router is 50% slower than my prior Nighthawk router (which I kept just in case I want the speed for something).

Thanks for your input.

Does Google get all your data when you have them in your house?

-Randy

This is a question I grappled with.

According to Google:
Google Wifi and your privacy - Google Wifi Help

Importantly, the Google Wifi app and your Wifi points do not track the websites you visit or collect the content of any traffic on your network
That being said, it will be up to you if you trust them or not.

A buddy of mine said that when he got it a few years ago, searches he was doing on Google were showing up as ads on his wifes phone. So she figured out that he was taking her to Miami for an anniversary.. I was like YIKES. But he said in the last 6 months or so it hasnt happened. YMMV

This is a question I grappled with.

According to Google:
Google Wifi and your privacy - Google Wifi Help

Importantly, the Google Wifi app and your Wifi points do not track the websites you visit or collect the content of any traffic on your network
That being said, it will be up to you if you trust them or not.

A buddy of mine said that when he got it a few years ago, searches he was doing on Google were showing up as ads on his wifes phone. So she figured out that he was taking her to Miami for an anniversary.. I was like YIKES. But he said in the last 6 months or so it hasnt happened. YMMV

It's quite vague, But basically the relevant part is: Google collects information that it considers "inferred signals" from your LAN, including:

What kind of signals does your Wifi point use?

• OUI (inferred)
  • DHCP(broadcast)
  • mDNS (broadcast)
  • DHCP + Wi-Fi options (inferred)
  • User entered names

It can use that information both for its benefit and to help you.

So it doesn't collect anything personally identifiable, but it does collect some info about you, like "gee you have a lot of Apple devices", without specifying how it uses that data or who it sells that to.

I guess I'm okay with it as I don't consider that kind of information very private to me. But I dunno, if you're the guy with Snapchat glasses and an Anki robot, that might narrow you down to like 5 dorks in Silicon Valley and becomes more identifiable :D

• Informative
Reactions: SpudLime
This isn't quite the same as Google vacuuming up all your search data, but Ubiquiti apparently just stealthily gained a new phone-home capability that can't be disabled in device settings:

Ubiquity Firmware with mandatory device metrics : networking

Maybe this bothers you, maybe it doesn't...best be informed either way.

Bruce.

This isn't quite the same as Google vacuuming up all your search data, but Ubiquiti apparently just stealthily gained a new phone-home capability that can't be disabled in device settings:

Ubiquity Firmware with mandatory device metrics : networking

Maybe this bothers you, maybe it doesn't...best be informed either way.

Bruce.
Yea, they must have gotten new management or new marketing or something. I recently heard they were forcing marketing pop-ups on the XG series management portals, causing a ton of issues for installers/resellers who had to deal with customers calling about these ads which were often not even applicable. I personally use a number of Unify devices, and it used be nice and solid. Lately I had to turn off auto-update as their latest firmwares have issues, for example had to roll back my AP firmware for the last little while (until this week) because it causes major issues with iPhoneX devices (fast-roaming related). I just took the plunge and updated to the latest this week, and while the iPhoneX issues seem resolved, I'm running into some possible switch issues (possibly related to this, my WAN internet had a hickup late at night, but somehow this caused 2 large unify switches to malfunction - maybe it was trying to upload data and because internet was down it crashed something???). Started running some monitoring on the switches, if they die again I'm rolling back the firmware on those too. Their latest controller software also has a bunch of regressions, such as Unify AP's showing up as unidentified devices on the network, in addition to showing up as AP's, so for example I get notifications about AP's joining the GUEST network when actual guests are joining. They also show up in the Map Topology view (each AP shows up as an AP and as an unidentified device with the MAC address of the AP).

Ubiquiti update: I put a bunch of Switch 8 and Switch 16 variants (some with POE, some without) in my house. I already had three UniFi AP-AC-LITEs. It all basically just works, aside from one problem with spanning tree that I can work around. I like being able to have one management interface for almost the entire network, and I'm getting better visibility into the overall state of the network than I had with the semi-managed Netgear switches I was running before. I wouldn't recommend this solution for everybody, but it works pretty well for me.

Bruce.

Ubiquiti update: I put a bunch of Switch 8 and Switch 16 variants (some with POE, some without) in my house. I already had three UniFi AP-AC-LITEs. It all basically just works, aside from one problem with spanning tree that I can work around. I like being able to have one management interface for almost the entire network, and I'm getting better visibility into the overall state of the network than I had with the semi-managed Netgear switches I was running before. I wouldn't recommend this solution for everybody, but it works pretty well for me.

Bruce.
Warning to all, once you start, it's hard to stop ;). I also started with just USG and a single AP (and existing non ubiquiti switches), but over time moved to all unifi gear and expanded my WiFi 5GHz coverage resulting in this setup.
upload_2020-5-27_23-3-50.png

To those already addicted, too late for you, so in case you didn't know there is a new inexpensive Unify switch available now, 5 port GbE for $29 MSRP. Note, it does not have PoE support (but can be powered by PoE) and you cannot use advanced VLAN functions, but perfect if you're just extending the same network as it does show up in the Unifi "single pane of glass" management interface.

I was full Ubiquiti, and now still am wrt wireless access points and switches, but I replaced my USG with a pfSense router, and I‘m glad I did. The USG router would go down about once a month (I have a gigabit Internet link if that matters), and the pfSense one is rock solid and has more functionality.

Btw, do you guys block broadcasts from being transmitted to the wireless network? I’m just wondering about that bit of functionality.

I was full Ubiquiti, and now still am wrt wireless access points and switches, but I replaced my USG with a pfSense router, and I‘m glad I did. The USG router would go down about once a month (I have a gigabit Internet link if that matters), and the pfSense one is rock solid and has more functionality.

Btw, do you guys block broadcasts from being transmitted to the wireless network? I’m just wondering about that bit of functionality.
I've had my USG4P on for months at a time without any issues. I have setup my parents with a USG3P, also have not had any issues yet. USG4P runs 500Mbps WAN (and some inter-VLAN routing), USG3P runs just 5Mbps WAN (smart queues really help in this setup). There was a time long time ago, for few firmware versions, that the USG4P memory utilization kept on creeping up so I would reset it every 30-60 days, but that lasted only about 6 months and I never had it go down on me, I was being proactive resetting it. I've had some issues with AP and switch firmwares (see post #90 above) but they went away after a couple of releases - lucky Ubiquiti allows rolling back to older versions (unlike Tesla).

Yes, I do block LAN->WAN broadcasts - save some battery life of WiFi devices (how much depends on how active your LAN broadcasts are).

Last edited:
That's this global setting, right? Any side effects?

View attachment 545859
Correct. The only side effects would be if you have any devices on LAN that utilize broadcast of multicast and you want to see those boradcasts on the WLAN, or vice versa. These are most commonly used to auto-discovery mechanisms (windows machines tend to broadcast their names for example). Personally I haven't ran into any devices which could not do without it. Notice that you can define exceptions (right under that checkbox, if you check it) if you need to, or worse case just re-enable it in a time it takes to reprovision the AP's.