Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi Software Updates - How are they done?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused over how to allow the Tesla S to do software updates. The car has "standard connectivity," a brand new Tesla wall charger and occasionally in range of a house-based wifi network.

The car identifies the charger but does not identify the house wifi.

What do I do to have updates done, please?

I'm confused over how to allow the Tesla S to do software updates. The car has "standard connectivity," a brand new Tesla wall charger and occasionally in range of a house-based wifi network.

Extend your house wifi network so the car can see it more reliably?

Reactions: Wol747 and mswlogo

You have actually made a connection when in range?

Does your phone see the home WiFi network when you’re in your car? Is there anything about your home WiFi configuration that restricts which devices can connect?

Standard vs. Premium Connectivity has no bearing on software updates. Either way, you need WiFi access to download most updates.

Does your phone see the home WiFi network when you’re in your car? Is there anything about your home WiFi configuration that restricts which devices can connect?

Standard vs. Premium Connectivity has no bearing on software updates. Either way, you need WiFi access to download most updates.
Not sure that is true. My car is parked in my condo parking lot, well away from my building. Sometimes the car will "see" my home WiFi but connecting is unreliable. Over the 6+ years I have had the car, I always get updates, but have only been asked to "connect to WiFi" on a few occasions, usually for map updates because they are so large. When that happens, I resort to using my phone as a hot spot. Map updates can take many hours, so I have to plug in the phone and leave the car in Camper Mode, which is the only way I know to leave the 12V outlet live and keep the phone charged.

Reactions: DerbyDave
WiFi will generally be prioritized to start downloading much earlier, probably by weeks, for normal updates because it is a much more efficient method to download a large updates. Tesla or the car will probably wait for a WiFi signal, at least for a bit, to see if one ever becomes available.

Not sure that is true. My car is parked in my condo parking lot, well away from my building. Sometimes the car will "see" my home WiFi but connecting is unreliable. Over the 6+ years I have had the car, I always get updates, but have only been asked to "connect to WiFi" on a few occasions, usually for map updates because they are so large. When that happens, I resort to using my phone as a hot spot. Map updates can take many hours, so I have to plug in the phone and leave the car in Camper Mode, which is the only way I know to leave the 12V outlet live and keep the phone charged.
According to Tesla, you need WiFi to download most software updates and all map updates, but critical software updates will download via cellular. You’re getting your updates because the car is occasionally connecting to your (unreliable) home network. I’ve had the same experience when parking outside a condo I rent every year, where it’s difficult but not impossible to connect to the WiFi network.

• Informative
Reactions: David29