Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi... the saga continues

Does your M3's WiFi work consistently at home?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oldschool above is correct. Model 3 is not like your phone or other devices that lock onto and stay on wifi 24/7. The computer wakes up and connects when it needs to otherwise it is on LTE. If the wifi radio remained on 24/7 people would be whining about phantom drain.
I don't think there's merit to this argument.

One point months ago, it became clear that Tesla was not sending updates over LTE(perhaps they never did or have). Thats for sure written, where I forget, somewhere around 2nd qtr 2018. I was under the impression it was a financial move, because after all who is paying for all these cars to be connected? Tesla is, at least my car.

Prior to that, I had not signed onto my wifi or at least I thought so, because it appeared as though it was not working. I will say I attempted it early on though to the same spinning wheel of no connection evident.

Problem now with so few updates(AP-1) its hard for me to tell if anything will/should be coming. I wrote SC yesterday, stating that appears wifi is not connected. Waiting for an answer. They may never answer, not unusual. My service people get 200-500 emails per day sometimes. Go on vacation for a week, you have a lot of trash emails.

I tend to be in the camp of NO connection needed to wifi all the time. These update packets come infrequently, need a steady strong connection to complete. I'm not sure how large they could be. 100 Mb. 500,000 cars sending 100 each over one or two weeks period. How many organizations pay for cell service LTE for 500,000 people and growing to millions and millions.

You better be a small user, using less and less all the time, not more and more.

Lots of speculation here:
I'm going out on a limb here and guessing, Tesla is trying to save money wherever they can, they are paying for all these cars to be connected, sending large packets to many cars at once or over days probably takes up bandwidth that LTE depending on strength, cannot handle and would have lots of failed attempts depending on where your driving or parked. TO top it off AT&T is the provider. Finally you must be parked for many hours in a steady place of service to get the update.

You cannot drive the car while updating as well. The update must be complete. When do you do that? At night by Wifi at the one place you frequent, your home and car stays idle in most cases for 8-10 hours. The perfect setting for Free, reliable, steady updating while everyone is sleeping and not using the Wifi either.