Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi to LTE connection switching issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had this issue? Since the update to 2.52.120 my car has trouble switching from WiFi to LTE. I frequently listen to a UK station on TuneIn (I live in Tacoma, WA) and historically, when I back out of my garage (and break the WiFi connection) there is momentary pause and then the streaming picks up again on LTE.

Since the .120 firmware, however, I find that when I get far enough out of the garage to break the WiFi connection, the streaming goes into a status where it is trying to cache but never seems to get data. This takes in excess of 10 minutes (the longest that I have been able to sit and just watch it spin...). This also affects Voice Command (which can't seem to accept any commands) as well. If I switch to a different TuneIn station it loads the new station, the Voice Command comes back online, and I can then switch back to the original station without anything other than a second or two pause while it buffers.

My interpretation of this is that the car is having some software difficulty in recognizing that it's Internet connection has switched to LTE (perhaps it is trying to buffer from the WiFi which no longer has adequate signal strength).

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Yes, I see that. Seems like it's happened almost every time since they introduced the "switching from P to D disconnects wifi" feature, which seemed to be part of the response to a wifi security vulnerability report. Maybe it started when I got 2.42.40? Anyway I work around it by switching to another audio source and then back.

I don't really expect a fix soon. Tesla seems to use third-party libraries for audio, and they seem unable or unwilling to make changes to those libraries (see also: artwork display problems). But I wonder if fixing this particular problem might be easier with the reported "new linux kernel" in 8.1? Normally I wouldn't expect a kernel upgrade to fix user-level bugs, but this could be an exception because it happens when the underlying network state has changed. Still, I'm not going to hold my breath.

I've learned not to hold my breath with Tesla at all... ;-)

I can see where a kernel fix might just do the trick with, this, though. Someday 8.1 will come, along with my AP2...

Since a Sol is longer than a day, and a Martian year is 88% longer than an Earth year, how long is a Martian week? That might give us a clue as to what Elon means when he says "soon" or "by the end of the week" or "before the end of December"...

Has anyone else had this issue? Since the update to 2.52.120 my car has trouble switching from WiFi to LTE. I frequently listen to a UK station on TuneIn (I live in Tacoma, WA) and historically, when I back out of my garage (and break the WiFi connection) there is momentary pause and then the streaming picks up again on LTE.

Since the .120 firmware, however, I find that when I get far enough out of the garage to break the WiFi connection, the streaming goes into a status where it is trying to cache but never seems to get data. This takes in excess of 10 minutes (the longest that I have been able to sit and just watch it spin...). This also affects Voice Command (which can't seem to accept any commands) as well. If I switch to a different TuneIn station it loads the new station, the Voice Command comes back online, and I can then switch back to the original station without anything other than a second or two pause while it buffers.

My interpretation of this is that the car is having some software difficulty in recognizing that it's Internet connection has switched to LTE (perhaps it is trying to buffer from the WiFi which no longer has adequate signal strength).

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Yes, true for us on 2 different S (see below) since v. 8.x firmware. Used to be a seamless handoff from WiFi to LTE and back again with Streaming. Now only works LTE to WiFi. If I leave home, I need to manually toggle to something else (like terrestrial radio) and back to Streaming to get a new connection.

At last, Nice to see i'm not the only one. Though I don't have LTE. Still on 3G.
I already reported this to the SeC. They told me to uncheck the permanent connection flag.
This did not help at all for me, but you might want to try, just in case. It did however improve connectivity once further on the road.