Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi vs 4G for SW Updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I park the MX in my garage, it gets around 300-400 Kbps from the 4G. I tried connecting to my home WiFi but it only gets slightly better speeds 400-500Kbps.

I've read that when you get the "Software Update Available" notification, the car has already finished downloading the update. Does anyone know if it downloads when it is parked, and gets interrupted while driving?

I'm trying to figure out if it is even worth figuring out how to upgrade my wifi in the garage if the car will be downloading updates while we're out and about.

Thanks.

I've had software notifications pop up after being out all day and after the car sat in the garage for days (both on and off WiFi). I honestly don't think it's going to make a difference, one way or the other. The delay isn't because your connection is too slow, the delay is because your car has to wait for its turn.

I've never seen any concrete evidence that cars on WiFi get offered updates before those on cellular.

The whole wifi thing could be selection/confirmation bias... for those that have wifi, it's home more often, and on wifi, so it seems that it gets the download on wifi more 'often'. Just an idea... You would really need two cars, one not on wifi, one always in the garage, and then know that they had the same priority from the mothership (which is impossible). :D

I haven't gotten any update since 17.28....looks like we've had many updates since and are on 17.35....only time I ever get an update notification is when I take my car to the SC and it comes back updated.

Any suggestions on if theres something wrong?