Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I go to the car and it takes forever to get started, but the console is blank. Car eventually boots up but console still blank.

I call the 877 number and eventually get a rep online who explains that the car was having trouble reaching my wi-fi. Not surprizing, as I changed my router several days ago. She explains Ineed to hold down the 2 steering wheel buttons for about 30 secs, and the console comes alive. I change my wi-fi settings and Im back in business.

Question for Tesla. Surely, with all of the technology available, an automated email to me would have alerted me to the loss of wi-fi.It would have saved me hours of frustration.

• Funny
Reactions: Akikiki
So I go to the car and it takes forever to get started, but the console is blank. Car eventually boots up but console still blank.

I call the 877 number and eventually get a rep online who explains that the car was having trouble reaching my wi-fi. Not surprizing, as I changed my router several days ago. She explains Ineed to hold down the 2 steering wheel buttons for about 30 secs, and the console comes alive. I change my wi-fi settings and Im back in business.

Question for Tesla. Surely, with all of the technology available, an automated email to me would have alerted me to the loss of wi-fi.It would have saved me hours of frustration.
I'm sure the car did try to Email you, but it couldn't connect to WiFi to send your the message. ;)

Awaiting delivery of a MX. Wasn't aware the car needs to connect to wifi. Where mine will be garaged, there is no wifi. How does it connect to the Internet while on the road? Cellular? Satellite? We have a lot of areas in West Virginia in which ther is NO cell coverage.

Awaiting delivery of a MX. Wasn't aware the car needs to connect to wifi. Where mine will be garaged, there is no wifi. How does it connect to the Internet while on the road? Cellular? Satellite? We have a lot of areas in West Virginia in which ther is NO cell coverage.

Teslas come with 4 years of ATT LTE service, which the Nav system uses for its maps and Tesla uses to monitor your vehicle. You will run into Nav problems when there’s no cell service. This is an example of when the typical car Nav systems that use an internal database work better. We had Nav problems on the California coast where the cell coverage gets spotty.

I think the vehicle can only get firmware updates via WiFi. Do you have WiFi in an adjacent house to the Tesla parking area? Does the parking area have 110 VAC? You could get a WiFi extender for about $30 that could boost your house signal & provide WiFi for the Tesla.

Teslas come with 4 years of ATT LTE service, which the Nav system uses for its maps and Tesla uses to monitor your vehicle. You will run into Nav problems when there’s no cell service. This is an example of when the typical car Nav systems that use an internal database work better. We had Nav problems on the California coast where the cell coverage gets spotty.

I think the vehicle can only get firmware updates via WiFi. Do you have WiFi in an adjacent house to the Tesla parking area? Does the parking area have 110 VAC? You could get a WiFi extender for about $30 that could boost your house signal & provide WiFi for the Tesla.
Padelford - Thanks. That clarifies the connectivity subject. I'll make it a point to be sure and spend some time in known ATT coverage areas. Can also get an extender out to the garage.

When we picked up our MX in late June in San Diego, there was a firmware update available. I recall some message that I needed a WiFi connection to download the update. I ended up waiting until we got home to Seattle & our home WiFi connection.
If you saw a message that "a firmware update available" then the updated firmware has already been downloaded to your car, so, not sure what wifi message you saw, but it was not for the firmware. Look up "verygreen" user - he has pretty detailed explanation how firmware is done (he is rooted his Tesla). So, no, wifi is not necessary to get updates.

I’ve gotten updates via LTE, so it is not WiFi dependent. The google maps will only update via WiFi though.

Also for LTE, it was originally stated 4 years free, but that was early on. There was no mention of an expiration when I purchased, and I’m not sure what would happen if it did.

Does tesla disable nav? Or build a100% offline function?
Does Tesla just remove voice commands? They don’t seem to be available when I’m in a poor LTE area. The cars just too integrated.