Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I know Wifi has been done to death and Search has been my friend, but please forgive me raising it (yet) again...

My router is too far away for my car(M3P 2020) to see it. I have some sympathy, there are a few big stone walls between and although my phone can see it, the signal's pretty weak.
So I tried it in a relative's house where the router was 6ft away (from the driver's mirror) through a cavity brick wall. Car couldn't see it.
So I went to my local SC to pick up the guest network. Car couldn't see it. Tech suggested logging service appointment.

The car will pick up my phone's hotspot (but only when the phone is inside the car) so I can download updates v.v. slowly on my data plan (but from inside the car my phone can't see the router so I cant wifi bridge)

My question (sorry for build-up): given that the car can see my phone, is there any point in a service appointment? Doesn't that suggest that the antenna's OK (but rubbish), or is it possible that (say) the antenna is detached and the wiring to it is acting as a (really rubbish) receiver? I don't want to ignore updates, as I am really hoping for the one that gives me reliable cruise and lets me read what's playing on the radio. In the meantime my wife's Land Rover downloads updates seamlessly over integrated 4G...

thanks

Hello all, I know Wifi has been done to death and Search has been my friend, but please forgive me raising it (yet) again...

My router is too far away for my car(M3P 2020) to see it. I have some sympathy, there are a few big stone walls between and although my phone can see it, the signal's pretty weak.
So I tried it in a relative's house where the router was 6ft away (from the driver's mirror) through a cavity brick wall. Car couldn't see it.
So I went to my local SC to pick up the guest network. Car couldn't see it. Tech suggested logging service appointment.

The car will pick up my phone's hotspot (but only when the phone is inside the car) so I can download updates v.v. slowly on my data plan (but from inside the car my phone can't see the router so I cant wifi bridge)

My question (sorry for build-up): given that the car can see my phone, is there any point in a service appointment? Doesn't that suggest that the antenna's OK (but rubbish), or is it possible that (say) the antenna is detached and the wiring to it is acting as a (really rubbish) receiver? I don't want to ignore updates, as I am really hoping for the one that gives me reliable cruise and lets me read what's playing on the radio. In the meantime my wife's Land Rover downloads updates seamlessly over integrated 4G...

thanks
No harm in requesting a Service Appointment to get it checked as it will be a real pain to live with, Software Updates are a real advantage of owning a Tesla. They may be able to diagnose it remotely and if faulty depending on where you live they may send a Mobile Service Technician to look at it so you might not even have to visit a service Centre.

Yeah, get it checked. It should have worked at your relatives house and certainly at the SC.

Just to add - I have a media PC with a wireless card with a detachable aerial. Without the aerial I can pick up wireless, but not very well. A wireless aerial can improve the signal/acquisition but having no aerial at all doesn't necessarily mean you won't get any wireless signal at all (as you found with your phone from within the car).

Reactions: candida
Hello all, just resurrecting this to see if anyone can explain a curiosity... My M3 is still wifi blind and I haven't had time to book a service request BUT I do have referral miles to use by December. I went to my local SC, plugged it in, did 25 minutes shopping and back as it topped off at 90%. Lovely.
In my absence the car had connected to a wifi network and downloaded the latest software (the 32 one). It hadnt downloaded the nav update which has now been waiting for weeks (too big to hotspot from my phone inside the car). And I hadnt done anything.
I understand there are 2 networks at an SC, the regular Guest network and one the Techs use which we dont see. In the past at this SC my car has seen the Guest network (and it failed downloading updates on it because it dropped sporadically). Question - when you plug into a supercharger at an SC does the car immediately glomm onto the service network? Or is my car (an ex-demonstrator) set up differently - this experience would certainly tend to suggest that its wifi receiving capacity is fine, but it only likes the service network.
Am I miles off the mark?

Hello all, just resurrecting this to see if anyone can explain a curiosity... My M3 is still wifi blind and I haven't had time to book a service request BUT I do have referral miles to use by December. I went to my local SC, plugged it in, did 25 minutes shopping and back as it topped off at 90%. Lovely.
In my absence the car had connected to a wifi network and downloaded the latest software (the 32 one). It hadnt downloaded the nav update which has now been waiting for weeks (too big to hotspot from my phone inside the car). And I hadnt done anything.
I understand there are 2 networks at an SC, the regular Guest network and one the Techs use which we dont see. In the past at this SC my car has seen the Guest network (and it failed downloading updates on it because it dropped sporadically). Question - when you plug into a supercharger at an SC does the car immediately glomm onto the service network? Or is my car (an ex-demonstrator) set up differently - this experience would certainly tend to suggest that its wifi receiving capacity is fine, but it only likes the service network.
Am I miles off the mark?

I don't know about the WiFi but here's what's in the tech part of a SuperCharger installation 😃

Attachments

• PXL_20210726_093912470.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210726_093912470.MP.jpg
    830.5 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: Cnixon
No it would he the same hardware. I assume your home network is using 2.4ghz rather than 5ghz. Try splitting bands on router if not and give them different names so you can tell its the 2.4 you can pick up with other devices phone etc. My car is 10 feet from router but cannot pick up wifi because aerial is behind a mirror when folded/parked. It poor really. I worry that your hotspot is only workable from inside the car, but why would it work at SC? Do the chargers have any LAN/ internet connection? I am fairly tech. minded but all i can suggest is a powerline adaptor at home e.g. "tplink av600 kit" Argos for about £30-40 placed somewhere closer/upstairs. The newer designs are bit more pricey but this works.

Am I miles off the mark?
Mine always seems to connect itself to Tesla's Wifi at the Edinburgh Service Centre supercharger site (I have never connected it manually) - unless I'm at the furthest away charger from the building - I just assumed it probably automatically finds the Tesla guest network if you're at a service centre - haven't been to any other Service Centres to confirm this however.

Mine always seems to connect itself to Tesla's Wifi at the Edinburgh Service Centre supercharger site (I have never connected it manually) - unless I'm at the furthest away charger from the building - I just assumed it probably automatically finds the Tesla guest network if you're at a service centre - haven't been to any other Service Centres to confirm this however.
It's just never connected properly to the guest network at Tesla before - usually doesnt even see it. I wasnt assuming there was anything in the Supercharger casing, just wondered if a Tesla owned car (as this was) may have been set to only see service network.

When I've got more time than just to moan about it I will book it in! thanks all

This is interesting, is it the guest network it connects to? Previously I've been parked (deliberately) closer to the guest router than the supercharger pods in Cardiff and the car wont see it (the techs showed me where the guest router was because of the head scratching over the wifi blindness but it was a Friday afternoon and I hadnt an appointment so nothing more came of it)

thanks
As mentioned above, book it in to see if there is an underlying problem with your wifi antenna or other. If that is not the problem then there are a few soloutions that could help:

1. Buy a ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073TSK26W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) Its a Mini router (bridge) that sits in the center console box of your car. This connects to your home wifi (plus you can add your office etc). Your tesla connects to this device. Its a bridge between your home router and your tesla. Its powered by the usb.

2. Wifi booster placed near your car. Such as this - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/128...KZUIQ4IXFS6hMGoUv8xoCZGQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

3. as nr 2 but a powerline adapter with Wifi. Plug 1 adapter with your router, the other near the car in a power socket. This uses your power cables to transmit the data. Such as this - TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT Single-Band N300 Powerline Kit 2 Pieces

4. Drastic measure - knock down your big stone walls...

My car doesn't see 5ghz networks so I assume it's 2.4ghz only.
It has both 2.4 and 5 GHz capability. The antenna itself isn't high quality and the cable that connects it back to the wifi module greatly attenuates the signal so only high strength signals have a chance of being picked up. 5 GHz gets attenuated more if it has to pass through any material so 2.4 GHz is almost always preferred.

It has both 2.4 and 5 GHz capability. The antenna itself isn't high quality and the cable that connects it back to the wifi module greatly attenuates the signal so only high strength signals have a chance of being picked up. 5 GHz gets attenuated more if it has to pass through any material so 2.4 GHz is almost always preferred.
Cheers. I was sat in the car at the time so no idea why it didn't see it then.

Might be a red herring, but I recently had some difficulty with TP-Link Deco software updates, the car stopped seeing the networks. It eventually got fixed with another update. Just saying that it would be worth checking the firmware is up to date in whatever is serving your Wi-Fi network.

Reactions: candida