Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I will be moving to a condo at the end of the month and understand that the garage does not have WiFi so I will need to find another option to download updates.
I live in Atlanta but the (sole) Tesla dealership is about a 1/2 hour away so I would appreciate any suggestion for a painless place(s) that I can go to update the Tesla software?
Thank you
Bob

Thanks Creepy.
I have a Google Pixel 3a at the moment and am planning to upgrade to a 5G phone.
What is "sufficient data" on my phone to enable that will enable me to use it to download and install updates?
BTW, I thought that when a download is in progress, it "takes over" the display which is not what I want to do when I am driving the Tesla.
Thank you for your help Creepy
Bob

Software updates require the car to be stationary. Tesla says 25 minutes, but in my experience, it is less than that.

No driving while downloading, and you shouldn't interrupt the download while it's in progress.

Thank you Pia.
So that means I need to find a "hotspot' i.e. Starbucks, McD,..... parking me car and hope that it downloads the largest updates when I finish my coffee.
Or is another option what Creepy suggested, that I sit in the car and use my phone to update the latest releases.
Either scenario is not the optimum way that I would prefer to do this.
Thank you Pia
Bob

Assuming you go to work you might be able to access WiFi there. If you are an Xfinity customer you may be able to use their hotspots. Finally, you could just leave your phone in the car (if you have stand to be away from your phone) once a week or so, and use the phone’s hotspot to allow the car to update.

Your only other option is to install a WiFi repeater in the garage. Maybe you could talk the Condo into installing one?

The car doesn't need a connection while it is updating. It downloads the update and then lets you know when you want to apply it. When you are applying the update, you don't need a connection. Also, I'm not certain it wouldn't download if you were driving - I think it would. It just downloads a file to be applied once you are parked and choose to update.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
Just to clarify: you can download an update via a phone hotspot while driving. It does not cover any portion of the screen. Updates will typically be in the 600-700 MB range. It should also be noted that updates are not crucial. Whatever software is installed, the car will drive just fine. I also don't see the point why I would update from 2021.36.5 to 2021.36.6. Might as well skip an update or wait for the next billing cycle to be sure you don't exceed your data limit.

Just make sure the car uses WiFi while it's in drive. Per default it will revert to LTE when you put the car in Drive or Reverse, but that can be temporarily or permanently changed (see the manual for details)

Once the download has finished, you can let the car update the software. It typically takes about half an hour and you do not need an internet connection for the update process.

Pia probably meant "no driving while updating" which is correct. It is only during the actual update process that you can't drive, but you can use the car during the download.

If you want to use a Wifi repeater as @ATPMSD suggested, you should not install it where the car is parked. If the car doesn't see the Wifi signal, neither will the range extender. Range extenders should generally be used halfway between the router and the device that can't connect to it.

Reactions: Driver08 and ATPMSD
Thank you Pia.
So that means I need to find a "hotspot' i.e. Starbucks, McD,..... parking me car and hope that it downloads the largest updates when I finish my coffee.
Or is another option what Creepy suggested, that I sit in the car and use my phone to update the latest releases.
Either scenario is not the optimum way that I would prefer to do this.
Thank you Pia
Bob
Some of those hotspots often require to open a login page.
In this case you could use your phone to connect to the hotspot and then connect your car to your phone.
You can also use a portable router to connect to a hotspot. I use the GL-inet (Good Life) brand

I live in a high rise and we have no WiFi in our garage. I have a WiFi hotspot that I keep in the car and set it to charge from the car battery. Overnight, the hotspot stops receiving a charge and the battery runs down. Is that an issue with the hotspot or a setting in the Tesla?

I live in a high rise and we have no WiFi in our garage. I have a WiFi hotspot that I keep in the car and set it to charge from the car battery. Overnight, the hotspot stops receiving a charge and the battery runs down. Is that an issue with the hotspot or a setting in the Tesla?
Do you have summons enabled while you are at home? Keeping summons enabled, supposedly prevents your car from going to sleep. (At least, it prevents the high voltage system from disengaging)

Do you have summons enabled while you are at home? Keeping summons enabled, supposedly prevents your car from going to sleep. (At least, it prevents the high voltage system from disengaging)
Yes but this will draw down the main battery by about 5-6 kWh per day; you really want the car to go to sleep. I suggest others have posted better options above.