TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wild thought about HVAC

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Torinyao, May 25, 2020.

1. Torinyao

Torinyao New Member

I had the most random thought; say it’s a hot day, and you park in your garage; would it be possible to turn on the AC to help cool down the garage and maybe the adjacent rooms as well?

• Funny x 5
  2. Avendit

Avendit Member

No. AC moves heat from one place to another, in the case of a car, from the cabin to outside. In a garage you would just move the heat from in the cabin to in the garage, adding a couple of kw in the process and actually overall adding heat to the system.

You need an AC system setup to move heat from your house to the outside. A car isn't it.

You should also probably remove your -actual- address from your profile. Its meant for a general area (Fremont), not your specific house address.

• Like x 15
  3. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

#3 JulienW, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Only if powered by wind turbines on the hood.:eek:

Reminds me of the old "If I leave the fridge door open can I cool off the kitchen" 2ed law of thermodynamics question. :D:D

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. holmgang

holmgang Member

what if you run the car on a dynamo so it generates electricity to charge the car. free charging forever!

• Funny x 5
  5. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

It’s possible, but not without some extra effort. As noted above, the car’s AC moves heat from the air entering the cabin to the air moving through the lower part of the car’s nose.

So the do what you described, you’d need to set up ducting from outside to the front of the car and back out again. It’s an option for extreme situations, but probably not worthwhile for the typical user and circumstances.

6. Avendit

Avendit Member

Bit like the answer to whether a fridge can cool the kitchen: yes if you can shove it's back side
    Outside somehow while maintaining an air tight seal.

• Like x 1
  7. KenC

KenC Active Member

Why not just get a cheap DIY minisplit? It's for a garage, so installation would likely be easier, with more room for error. The lines and heat pump are precharged, etc.

8. SammichLover

SammichLover Banned

The Model Y could theoretically do this by turning up the interior heat.

That of course would be temporary, and would begin reverting as soon the interior of the Y reached some maximum heat capacity where the heat pump could at best keep up with outward radiation from the Y cabin. But then the laws of thermal dynamics, "you can never win, you can't even break even, only the House can", means moving heat around is always temporary to some extent. :)

9. snailboat

snailboat Member

Seriously had to explain why this wouldn't work to my father-in-law about 5 times.

• Funny x 1
  10. bbell

bbell Member

That is similar to the argument that I get from people about putting a windmill on the car to generate power while driving. If you put a big enough windmill it might even generate extra power!

• Funny x 1
  11. holmgang

holmgang Member

im in! kickstarter?

12. TMThree

TMThree Member

I once went to a local cheesesteak plate and the guy had 4 window ac units inside, on tables running at full speed. It was hot in there.

I didn't tell the guy that this was a stupid idea, but I did laugh at the situation.

• Funny x 4
  13. Gray468

Gray468 Member

If the air is cooler outside the garage than inside, an extraction fan near the peak of the roof is quite efficient and effective. Look for the “quiet” ones if the garage is next to a living space. Same goes for the attic.

14. dazizmor

dazizmor Member

Wait a second, so you're telling me Homer Simpson lied to me about living in the refrigerator? :)

Homer Simpson GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

15. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

16. SlimJim

SlimJim Member

Lower all 4 windows. Turn on CC and set the temp.

• Funny x 1
  17. PeteC

PeteC New Member

I assume from your question that your home doesn’t have A/C. Only one person mentioned your best option which is a ductless heat pump. They seemed to think that cooling the garage was your goal. That wasn’t my impression. I think I paid less than $3K for a single unit installed.

• Like x 1
  18. EmOne

EmOne Member

Truly hilarious! I'm trying to guess what state...Texas and Louisiana are my picks.

19. KenC

KenC Active Member

Haha, you're right. I re-read the OP's comment, and it seems clear he does want to cool off his place, not his garage. I self-installed a 4-unit 36k btu LG mini split. It was about $5000 for the compressor and 4 head units and line sets. Not the easiest DIY project, but also not the hardest. Had a professional vac the lines for $200.
    IMG_3632.jpeg

20. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

I don't where it says that. OP says garage and MAYBE other.