Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wild thought about HVAC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. AC moves heat from one place to another, in the case of a car, from the cabin to outside. In a garage you would just move the heat from in the cabin to in the garage, adding a couple of kw in the process and actually overall adding heat to the system.

You need an AC system setup to move heat from your house to the outside. A car isn't it.

You should also probably remove your -actual- address from your profile. Its meant for a general area (Fremont), not your specific house address.

It’s possible, but not without some extra effort. As noted above, the car’s AC moves heat from the air entering the cabin to the air moving through the lower part of the car’s nose.

So the do what you described, you’d need to set up ducting from outside to the front of the car and back out again. It’s an option for extreme situations, but probably not worthwhile for the typical user and circumstances.

It’s possible, but not without some extra effort. As noted above, the car’s AC moves heat from the air entering the cabin to the air moving through the lower part of the car’s nose.

So the do what you described, you’d need to set up ducting from outside to the front of the car and back out again. It’s an option for extreme situations, but probably not worthwhile for the typical user and circumstances.
Bit like the answer to whether a fridge can cool the kitchen: yes if you can shove it's back side
Outside somehow while maintaining an air tight seal.

Reactions: Saghost
I had the most random thought; say it’s a hot day, and you park in your garage; would it be possible to turn on the AC to help cool down the garage and maybe the adjacent rooms as well?
Why not just get a cheap DIY minisplit? It's for a garage, so installation would likely be easier, with more room for error. The lines and heat pump are precharged, etc.

The Model Y could theoretically do this by turning up the interior heat.

That of course would be temporary, and would begin reverting as soon the interior of the Y reached some maximum heat capacity where the heat pump could at best keep up with outward radiation from the Y cabin. But then the laws of thermal dynamics, "you can never win, you can't even break even, only the House can", means moving heat around is always temporary to some extent. :)

No. AC moves heat from one place to another, in the case of a car, from the cabin to outside. In a garage you would just move the heat from in the cabin to in the garage, adding a couple of kw in the process and actually overall adding heat to the system.

You need an AC system setup to move heat from your house to the outside. A car isn't it.

You should also probably remove your -actual- address from your profile. Its meant for a general area (Fremont), not your specific house address.

I once went to a local cheesesteak plate and the guy had 4 window ac units inside, on tables running at full speed. It was hot in there.

I didn't tell the guy that this was a stupid idea, but I did laugh at the situation.

thermo.gif

I had the most random thought; say it’s a hot day, and you park in your garage; would it be possible to turn on the AC to help cool down the garage and maybe the adjacent rooms as well?
I assume from your question that your home doesn’t have A/C. Only one person mentioned your best option which is a ductless heat pump. They seemed to think that cooling the garage was your goal. That wasn’t my impression. I think I paid less than $3K for a single unit installed.

Reactions: KenC
I assume from your question that your home doesn’t have A/C. Only one person mentioned your best option which is a ductless heat pump. They seemed to think that cooling the garage was your goal. That wasn’t my impression. I think I paid less than $3K for a single unit installed.
Haha, you're right. I re-read the OP's comment, and it seems clear he does want to cool off his place, not his garage. I self-installed a 4-unit 36k btu LG mini split. It was about $5000 for the compressor and 4 head units and line sets. Not the easiest DIY project, but also not the hardest. Had a professional vac the lines for $200.
IMG_3632.jpeg