Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Wilkes-Barre, PA] 2 80A HPWC @ Breaker Brewing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
I'm not up on the etiquette of the TMC forums so I don't want to misstep, but can somehow please tell me how to best share this news?

A really cool microbrewery/restaurant installed two HPWCs at their place! It's located in Wilkes-Barre, PA, right off of I-81. I don't yet know if they push 80amps but I do know that TMC user HalfDollarBill and I visited for lunch over Thanksgiving to try to convince them to install one and just got word that they did. Two, in fact! I really want to drive them business as much as possible because I think having one that isn't a hotel (where it's harder to become a customer on the fly) is really great!

Their beers are cheap, as is their menu, which was way more delicious than I expected.

I already listed them on PlugShare, but would love to share it with TMC community.

Reactions: callmesam
All,
I'm not up on the etiquette of the TMC forums so I don't want to misstep, but can somehow please tell me how to best share this news?

A really cool microbrewery/restaurant installed two HPWCs at their place! It's located in Wilkes-Barre, PA, right off of I-81. I don't yet know if they push 80amps but I do know that TMC user HalfDollarBill and I visited for lunch over Thanksgiving to try to convince them to install one and just got word that they did. Two, in fact! I really want to drive them business as much as possible because I think having one that isn't a hotel (where it's harder to become a customer on the fly) is really great!

Their beers are cheap, as is their menu, which was way more delicious than I expected.

I already listed them on PlugShare, but would love to share it with TMC community.
I would start a new thread.

Hello PhillyGal. Are you talking about Breaker Brewing Company? I plan on stopping there on Sunday, as I am heading from upstate NY to SW Florida in my S85D, and need to deal with the dreaded BLACK HOLE in central PA from Binghamton down to Hagerstown. This looks like the perfect place...might even be able to watch some NFL! Let me know if this is indeed the place you are talking about! Thanks, Eric

Hello PhillyGal. Are you talking about Breaker Brewing Company? I plan on stopping there on Sunday, as I am heading from upstate NY to SW Florida in my S85D, and need to deal with the dreaded BLACK HOLE in central PA from Binghamton down to Hagerstown. This looks like the perfect place...might even be able to watch some NFL! Let me know if this is indeed the place you are talking about! Thanks, Eric

Yes!
I would call them first to inquire about whether their HPWCs push 40 or 80 amps (if you have duel chargers and planned on the faster charge) and ask about their hours.
To my knowledge they've not yet had an actual Tesla charge there to test the equipment. Also, ask their hours to make sure the chargers are available when you need.

(570) 392-9078

I just spoke with Breaker Brewing, and had a very nice conversation. They are indeed closed Sunday; however, they just connected their 2 chargers. He told me that the chargers both deliver 80A, and that they are available for use Sunday (even though the microbrew/restaurant is closed Sundays).

You go through Hagerstown instead of Newark, DE?

I just spoke with Breaker Brewing, and had a very nice conversation. They are indeed closed Sunday; however, they just connected their 2 chargers. He told me that the chargers both deliver 80A, and that they are available for use Sunday (even though the microbrew/restaurant is closed Sundays).

Awesome! It sucks they are closed so you can't hang out and eat or drink, but I hope you (and others) patronize them if you get a moment. If I recall the location correctly, that place is a little bit out of the way in a residential section so I'm not sure where you could walk and kill time.

Let us know how it goes.

How did your charge at Breakers go? Appears you have duel chargers so even a short stop there could be a real game changer.

Charging well at Breakers

Very close to the highway. Good spot with two chargers.

Just got a note from PhillyGal...
Local news is doing a story about this site on Monday 4/18 at 11AM. The owners would like to have a car there to demo charging. Anyone local, near or passing through that can lend a hand and get some positive press for the site and brand? I'd suggest calling the pub for more info if needed.

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
Just a heads up regarding the destination chargers at Breaker Brewing Company... These chargers are now kept powered off.

We arrived about 45 minutes before opening and they were dead.

We ran into staff outside and they explained that people were using them and not patronizing them. They explained that people were even staying in local hotels and using uber to charge there, and it wasn't fair they were spending hundreds in electricity for those folks.

I don't blame them. I use destination charging extensively. In fact I pick destinations based on it. I hope people don't start ruining them.

Just a heads up regarding the destination chargers at Breaker Brewing Company... These chargers are now kept powered off.

We ran into staff outside and they explained that people were using them and not patronizing them. They explained that people were even staying in local hotels and using uber to charge there, and it wasn't fair they were spending hundreds in electricity for those folks.

I don't blame them. I use destination charging extensively. In fact I pick destinations based on it. I hope people don't start ruining them.

So did they give up entirely, or do you just have to go in and ask them to turn it on while you eat?

So disappointing. Not in the actions of the restaurant, but the actions of the people who abused the privilege. What a shame.

Give people an inch.....
That's just gusto to not patronize a restaurant that sponsors a destination charger. And even more outlandish to uber there and back. You're probably paying uber more than the cost of the charge for the round trip.

I think these guys need a Tesla appreciation day. Maybe a meet-up on a weekend?

Why not strike while the iron's hot?
I'll shoot to drop by the restaurant around noon on 8/13 (I'll have things to do in the afternoon) but if you can, I'd say come on up any time during the day and let them know you appreciate their support. I'll post in the groups/events section as well.