Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will 18” aero wheels fit on the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if the 18” aero wheels will fit on the Model Y as long as it doesn’t have the Performance brakes...

I know everyone loves the largest wheels possible, but the Aeros might give an extra 5 to 10 miles of range and would be a cheaper option in the winter for winter tires :p

Reactions: EVChris
Nevermind I stand corrected, what i1Tesla was trying to do is put the 21” Uber turbines on the model 3.

Attachments

• A0C2C73E-A1B1-4AFF-90D0-354ADBA1844A.png
    A0C2C73E-A1B1-4AFF-90D0-354ADBA1844A.png
    895.4 KB · Views: 4,157
On the model Y the performance and the regular brakes have the same diameter.

Apart from that, the Aero wheels may not have a sufficient load rating.
That’s right, the rotors are the same diameter. Both 3 & Y (all versions) have rear rotors that are 335mm. If the non-perf rear calipers are the same between the 3 and Y, then the 18” Aeros should fit on the non-perf Model Y.

I personally wouldn’t be overly concerned about the wheel load rating as the Y is only 10% heavier and I never drive my cars near fully loaded. Plus the extra side wall of 18” tires will reduce load spikes from harsh roads. YMMV

Look at 245/50R18 or 245/55R18 for the closest tire fit, the former is smaller diameter, the latter is larger than the OE tires. The radius difference between these two is 0.5” so only a minor change in ground clearance, efficiency, speedometer error, etc.

So, I think the question should be: Would a Model 3 LR AWD 18" wheel fit to a Model Y LR AWD?

From the thread, I conclude that the answer is “Yes”. One can use Model 3 18 inch aero rims with snow tires on a Model Y if you don’t overload the car. So four adults and modest baggage (airline bags at 200 extra pounds or less) should work.

did I misread the thread?

From the thread, I conclude that the answer is “Yes”. One can use Model 3 18 inch aero rims with snow tires on a Model Y if you don’t overload the car. So four adults and modest baggage (airline bags at 200 extra pounds or less) should work.

did I misread the thread?
Yes, "should work".

Four 170 lbs passengers and 205 lb cargo (incl 55lb in frunk) is Point G. That vehicle load is at the GVWR, but the key is to have the weight as far forward as possible. Put the big boys in front and the wife's carry-on in the frunk. The reality is that even an aft load, done infrequently, is not going to break the rear wheels.

20200626a-my-w-b-png.556802

Reference: Model Y Cargo Loading

Also, make sure the tires are XL load rated, like the X-Ice Xi3 - 245/50R18

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...HR8XI3XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

So, just some clarification: The 18in Aeros will work on the Y LR AWD, just don’t cart all your fat friends around, and carry like 10 50lb bags of sand in the rear hatch?

Winter is around the corner, I already received my snows: General Altimax Arctic XL, 235/55R18, this is closest to the original diameter of the 255/40R20 rubber the car came with, these I plan to mount of Model 3 18in Aeros.

The 18in Aeros will work on the Y LR AWD, just don’t cart all your fat friends around, and carry like 10 50lb bags of sand in the rear hatch?
Yes, and even if you carried the sand, it’ll likely be fine due to the large safety factors the engineers use. Just don’t come crawling back to the internet blaming us if a wheel breaks and you drive off the road spilling your load of sand.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: LowlyOilBurner
So, just some clarification: The 18in Aeros will work on the Y LR AWD, just don’t cart all your fat friends around, and carry like 10 50lb bags of sand in the rear hatch?

Winter is around the corner, I already received my snows: General Altimax Arctic XL, 235/55R18, this is closest to the original diameter of the 255/40R20 rubber the car came with, these I plan to mount of Model 3 18in Aeros.

Load rating on your 18" General is 104 XL. If Tesla did offer an 18" wheel and tire for the Y, the tire would likely have a higher load rating. While real world short term driving (winter season) may not result in anything catastrophic, I personally wouldn't take the chance. All it takes is that one pothole or disparity in the road. Plus the 18" AERO is going to sit WAY inside the wheel well (less driveability), and you have less contact patch 235 vs 255 (questionable in snow).

Factory Y Tire Sizes & Loads
? = >104 XL
255/45/19 = 104 XL
255/40/20 = 101 XL
255/35/21 = 98 XL | 275/35/21 = 103 W XL

Last edited: