Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will 18” aero wheels fit on the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happen to have any photos of that setup @Stach?
Here you go. I was actually taking pictures of my new 3rd party mud flaps, but these should do. They didn't look as small as I feared and they rode and performed Great throughout the winter.

IMG_6313.JPG

IMG_6310.JPG

IMG_6312.JPG

I've finally sold a set of wheels so I have space for getting some 18s. I'm going with the 2021 Aero's from the Model 3 for the correct load rating. I'm looking at the Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus 3 but have zero experience with Pirelli tires. Going with a 235/55R18. Any recommendations on something that will be efficient as well as decent tires all around? I looked at the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS II but those are discontinued now. Open to any thoughts/ideas on which route to go!

Here you go. I was actually taking pictures of my new 3rd party mud flaps, but these should do. They didn't look as small as I feared and they rode and performed Great throughout the winter.
Looks great! Acing a Wisconsin winter is a great endorsement in my book. 👍

What made you decide to go with the 245/50 instead of the 235/55?
Also, what mud flaps did you go with? Tesla fronts and aftermarket rears, or aftermarket all around?

Reactions: Stach
Looks great! Acing a Wisconsin winter is a great endorsement in my book. 👍

What made you decide to go with the 245/50 instead of the 235/55?
Also, what mud flaps did you go with? Tesla fronts and aftermarket rears, or aftermarket all around?

I've used X-Ice3's on a couple other vehicles in the past (including a Model 3) and liked the traction and the fact that they were quiet with no appreciable range loss. Since this was the best fitting X-Ice3 tire size for the Aero wheel, I had to chose 245/50.

I went with the Basenor mudflaps on Amazon, since they looked like they had the best fastening system with a standard (good) look and a nice price.

Reactions: Level 1
Not sure if this was posted here or not, but here's a video showing a Model Y with Model 3 Aero wheels - but with larger 255/55 R18 tires instead.

So between @eppyphotog (Page 2), @Stach (Page 4), and "Curtis's Curiosity" (YouTube), we have examples of 235/55 R18, 245/50 R18, and 255/55 R18 all fitting on the Pre-2021 Model 3 Aero wheels on Long Range Model Ys. Interesting how all three cars are blue too. 😁

Do you have them yet? As far as I can tell, nobody has mounted a set of these to a Y yet, so it would be interesting to see if they fit the same (or better) around the calipers!
Yes, I got them mounted, no issues there. I went with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All season Plus 2 and.... my efficiency sucked. I am not sure why or how but it got way bad. On the 19" Gemini I usually get about 240 wh/mi give or take and the 18" Aero with the Pirelli put me closer to 300. It was below but I'm not sure the exact numbers. After 1000ish miles of it being terrible I took them back to discount tire and paid the fee to put my 19s back on. I had high hopes for the 18s but it was awful in my experience. Your mileage may vary. Literally.

Yes, I got them mounted, no issues there. I went with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All season Plus 2 and.... my efficiency sucked. I am not sure why or how but it got way bad. On the 19" Gemini I usually get about 240 wh/mi give or take and the 18" Aero with the Pirelli put me closer to 300. It was below but I'm not sure the exact numbers. After 1000ish miles of it being terrible I took them back to discount tire and paid the fee to put my 19s back on. I had high hopes for the 18s but it was awful in my experience. Your mileage may vary. Literally.
That might have to do with the tires more than anything else. 240 wh/mi is pretty low. I never got that with my Geminis. With my current 19" wheel and tire combo (Pilot Sport AS 4) I am averaging 320 wh/mi over the life of the car.

I am waiting for someone to actually try the 18" aero wheels on a performance Y rear hub to see if they fit instead of just looking at it and not trying. Also, if the 18" Aero doesn't fit on the rear of the MYP, I wonder if a 12mm spacer would help (wheels tend to be tapered with less space for calipers near the face... a spacer could improve this).

Keith
We've beefed up the load on our 18" Wheels to meet the load on the Y to 750kg and will be releasing a video on how all our 18" updated wheels fits the Model Y Long Range and Model Y Performance.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3 and Noflash
We've beefed up the load on our 18" Wheels to meet the load on the Y to 750kg and will be releasing a video on how all our 18" updated wheels fits the Model Y Long Range and Model Y Performance.

How new is this development? I literally ordered Marian wheels less than a month ago because when I asked if Tsportline had any 18's available on March 28 2022 for the Model Y I was told no. If this was after the change to the 18's, I can forward the e-mail to you so you can counsel who ever sent it for loosing you a sale.

Keith

I have a 22 Model Y LR and want to go down to Tsportline 18 wheel which is 18 x 8.5 size. The tire package that they offer with that wheel size is 245/50-R18 which only gives you a 4.8 side wall compared to the stock 4.5 side wall on the stock 19 inch wheels according to Tiresize.com which is not much of a difference but change the number to a 245/55 r18 and increased the side wall to 5.3 which is better also going to 245 reduce the width from 10inch to 9.6 inches wide which I'm hoping it would give better clearance underneath the suspension knuckle. Any one know if this might work I ask Tsportline for some answer but the were pretty much are sticking to what they are selling in Tire & Wheel package. I tried asking Tirerack and there response was that " since they don't sell 18 inch wheels for the model y in there data base they are not able to calculate if it would work . Thanks for time.