Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will 4G wireless be an option on the S? 3G speed seems slugish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SuperCoug

Model S Res #7734
Mar 16, 2012
Bothell, WA
Does anyone know if we will get a 4G LTE option when they get around to locking down their wireless data provider? The 3G seems very slow. I've played with the web browser quite a bit on the Model S in Bellevue and have had very slow map response and page loading (in fact we tried to do the reservation on the car's browser but it didn't work with the credit card screen).

Thanks,
Eric

Not sure, although 4G has been mentioned from time to time.

Whatever it is, I hope the data plan is for unlimited bandwidth or at least very high. It would suck to always be worrying about data limits when you're constantly pumping internet radio, web browsing, and Google Maps into the car.

Latest word (last week) from my local Tesla store was that 4G would be available on the Model S at launch. They wouldn't divulge much else on the topic.

At the Santana Row event, there was mention of providing mobile connectivity via AT&T who are getting started with their 4G LTE service in some markets. Even if Tesla goes 4G and that too 4G LTE, I'm sure they'd have to have a 'backup' 3G radio in there (much like the 'new iPad' does) to serve markets where there's no 4G coverage yet.

Depending on the pricing and what carrier and technology they use (Verizon LTE is by far the best in SoCal in my experience), I'm thinking I could always opt instead for a 4G hotspot and plug it in somewhere. Hopefully there's a free USB or accessory port somewhere that I could tuck it into. I wouldn't want it just out sitting in a cup holder or something. I actually did this in my Roadster--I have a hotspot plugged in in the space under the center console. That way my Verizon iphone and ipad can use that connection even when I'm on a phone call.

This all assumes the S will use a wifi connection for the same functionality it would offer via the cell company connection. I certainly hope so.

Not sure, although 4G has been mentioned from time to time.

Whatever it is, I hope the data plan is for unlimited bandwidth or at least very high. It would suck to always be worrying about data limits when you're constantly pumping internet radio, web browsing, and Google Maps into the car.

AT&T and Verizon will never offer unlimited bandwidth ever again so I wouldn't hold my breath on that. As a shareholder of Sprint however, I don't mind if Tesla goes that way... ;)

The Bellevue sales rep said TMC has just inked a deal with one of the majors carriers but he wasn't sure when an announcement would be made. He also was pretty sure that 4G would be offered.

I hope that part of the deal would be co-advertising ... it would be a cool win for AT&T|Verizon|Sprint to be able to feature Tesla in some of their advertising (similar to what AT&T did when they had the exclusive for iPhone. And it would be more advertising for Tesla.

I hope Tesla don't make the same mistake as Apple just did with the iPad. :frown:

Australia uses a different bandwidth than the US for our 4G network and the new iPad can't use 4G in Australia. Apple just got a rap over the knuckles by the ACCC, our Competition regulator, for false and misleading advertising. (for saying it was 4G compatible. ACCC = Australian Competition and Consumer Commission)

Kanga