TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will 4G wireless be an option on the S? 3G speed seems slugish

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SuperCoug, Mar 20, 2012.

1. SuperCoug

SuperCoug Model S Res #7734

Does anyone know if we will get a 4G LTE option when they get around to locking down their wireless data provider? The 3G seems very slow. I've played with the web browser quite a bit on the Model S in Bellevue and have had very slow map response and page loading (in fact we tried to do the reservation on the car's browser but it didn't work with the credit card screen).

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Not sure, although 4G has been mentioned from time to time.

Whatever it is, I hope the data plan is for unlimited bandwidth or at least very high. It would suck to always be worrying about data limits when you're constantly pumping internet radio, web browsing, and Google Maps into the car.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Welcome to the forum, SuperCoug.

Well played!

4. tnawara

tnawara Member

Latest word (last week) from my local Tesla store was that 4G would be available on the Model S at launch. They wouldn't divulge much else on the topic.

5. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

At the Santana Row event, there was mention of providing mobile connectivity via AT&T who are getting started with their 4G LTE service in some markets. Even if Tesla goes 4G and that too 4G LTE, I'm sure they'd have to have a 'backup' 3G radio in there (much like the 'new iPad' does) to serve markets where there's no 4G coverage yet.

6. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Depending on the pricing and what carrier and technology they use (Verizon LTE is by far the best in SoCal in my experience), I'm thinking I could always opt instead for a 4G hotspot and plug it in somewhere. Hopefully there's a free USB or accessory port somewhere that I could tuck it into. I wouldn't want it just out sitting in a cup holder or something. I actually did this in my Roadster--I have a hotspot plugged in in the space under the center console. That way my Verizon iphone and ipad can use that connection even when I'm on a phone call.

This all assumes the S will use a wifi connection for the same functionality it would offer via the cell company connection. I certainly hope so.

7. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

That's what I was told at the Boston beta showing.

8. SuperCoug

SuperCoug Model S Res #7734

The Bellevue sales rep said TMC has just inked a deal with one of the majors carriers but he wasn't sure when an announcement would be made. He also was pretty sure that 4G would be offered.

9. BYT_P1837

BYT_P1837 Member

AT&T and Verizon will never offer unlimited bandwidth ever again so I wouldn't hold my breath on that. As a shareholder of Sprint however, I don't mind if Tesla goes that way... ;)

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I hope that part of the deal would be co-advertising ... it would be a cool win for AT&T|Verizon|Sprint to be able to feature Tesla in some of their advertising (similar to what AT&T did when they had the exclusive for iPhone. And it would be more advertising for Tesla.

11. KangarooAustralia

KangarooAustralia EV Enthusiast

I hope Tesla don't make the same mistake as Apple just did with the iPad. :frown:

Australia uses a different bandwidth than the US for our 4G network and the new iPad can't use 4G in Australia. Apple just got a rap over the knuckles by the ACCC, our Competition regulator, for false and misleading advertising. (for saying it was 4G compatible. ACCC = Australian Competition and Consumer Commission)

Kanga

12. Jrhodesmd

Jrhodesmd S Sig #371, X Prod #1143

A little Tesla birdie told me that it is 3G only for the Model S. :cursing:
    Looks like I will be tethering my wireless phone/iPad/or getting a wimax modem for the USB port

13. goyogi

goyogi Member

The article states that it could be upgraded to $g in the future. The wording isn't clear but if there was an option to upgrade it in the future that would be pleasing.

14. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I've also heard 4G available at launch from Tesla folks, but that might have been wishful thinking.

15. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

I've heard he as,e, and if the are using Tegra3 chips, it will be 3G unless they add a separate module. Tegra4 will have 4G on board, though. That was recently confirmed.

16. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Elon said the cars have 4G during the annual shareholders meeting.

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

did he mention carrier? I thought I remember AT&T being the forerunner.

18. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

He didn't. It was an off-topic reference .. something to the effect of "... since all cars will have 4G wireless ..."

19. Google announced offline maps, this may help mitigate the 3g speed issue.