Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will 4G wireless be an option on the S? 3G speed seems slugish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the Tesla store in NYC (25th and 10th ave), the Tesla employee told me the launch vehicles will be 4G. The guy at Tesla who offered to upgrade my General Production reservation to the Sig version told me over the phone that he didn't think it would be 4G and even sort of chuckled at the idea.

Obviously it would be a 5 star ride with 4G LTE.

Well, as long as it's AT&T or Verizon it will be LTE. And oh how sweet those speeds will be. I wonder how strong the signal will be from the car? Wireless N? Dual-band wireless N? 802.11ac? Just kidding...

I'm betting AT&T since its likely easier to have the hardware a bit agnostic (use SIM cards) than to put in a radio that's specific to one carrier. Audi uses T-Mobile. Do any cars use sprint or verizon? (though its likely Sprint would be the cheapest)

I'm betting AT&T since its likely easier to have the hardware a bit agnostic (use SIM cards) than to put in a radio that's specific to one carrier. Audi uses T-Mobile. Do any cars use sprint or verizon? (though its likely Sprint would be the cheapest)

I hope it's not Sprint, which is terrible in my opinion. Data speeds are absolutely horrible. 4G speeds are about as equivalent to AT&T 3G speeds around here.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

There actually is no such thing as 4G currently.

LTE is the 3.5G technology. Unfortunately one provider started calling LTE 4G for marketing reasons, and everyone else ended up following suit.

Actually, I thought LTE (Long Term Evolution) WAS the 4G technology and carriers like AT&T were boosting speeds on older technology and then calling it 4G?

Verizon also uses sim cards for it's LTE service. I bet it will be Verizon, since verizon just announced an initiative to have it's 4g lte service put into automobiles just recently

What I am hoping is that Tesla Model S will just accept a usb dongle or pci slot so that you can swap out to which ever provider is best in your area, or for whatever reason a better service comes along in 5 years.

Actually, I thought LTE (Long Term Evolution) WAS the 4G technology and carriers like AT&T were boosting speeds on older technology and then calling it 4G?

That is correct. With iOS update 5.1 my iPhone 4S changed the 3G badging to 4G without a hardware change. It was At&t calling HSPA+ calling itself 4G even though it is really 3.5G. At&t is calling it 4G because they offer similar speeds to the current incarnation of 4G LTE. Of course 4G LTE is supposed to evolve to higher speeds.

So, calling it "4G" may be a Trojan horse. I look forward to hearing the final verdict.

Verizon also uses sim cards for it's LTE service. I bet it will be Verizon, since verizon just announced an initiative to have it's 4g lte service put into automobiles just recently

What I am hoping is that Tesla Model S will just accept a usb dongle or pci slot so that you can swap out to which ever provider is best in your area, or for whatever reason a better service comes along in 5 years.

My understanding is that, while Verizon uses SIM card for its LTE network, their LTE phones still use the older CDMA interface for 3G and voice. LTE is great, but it's still not available everywhere and for a vehicle that's supposed to allow for travel between urban areas that seems short sighted.

My bet is on AT&T because it uses one GSM sim for all connections (if I remember correctly). Also, this will allow them to transition to the worldwide market better as the rest of the world uses GSM.