TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will 5-15 draw more amps on 20 amp circuit?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Teedub21, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Teedub21

Teedub21 Member

Until I can get my HPWC I do have two 20 amp circuits in my garage. Can the 5-15 that comes with the car charge at 16 amps on that circuit or does the adapter somehow limit the charging to 12 amps?

2. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

It limits the charging to 80% of the 15 amp rating. Tesla makes a 5-20 adapter that will allow 16 amp charging on a 20 amp circuit. It has one vertical and one horizontal pin to ensure you're plugging it into a real 20 amp receptacle...

• Informative x 3
  3. Teedub21

Teedub21 Member

That’s what I figured. Bummer.

4. user212_nr

user212_nr Active Member

What are you waiting on for the HPWC - money or the electrician to come?

If you are saving money / deciding, you can just install a different outlet and keep the the UMC.

5. Teedub21

Teedub21 Member

HPWC is on its way. Buddy going to help me install probably next week.