Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will a 2012 21" x 8.5 inch wheel work on a 2015?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
I assume so but I see a lot of 2012 2013 wheels for sale that say only for those two years of the Model S.

Any problem with these wheels from these two years? Did they change the part later on? (leaving the 9" out of the discussion).

Huh? What do you mean +? Like P85+?

Mine is a P85D (L).

The old P85+ and the current PxxD(L), when ordered with the 21" wheels, come with staggered wheels and tires. On the current PxxD(L) the front wheels are 8.5" wide; the rears are 9.0" wide. Refer to the specs on page 169 of the current owner's manual for more info.

I assume that those are same as the older P85+ but I cannot confirm.

The old P85+ and the current PxxD(L), when ordered with the 21" wheels, come with staggered wheels and tires. On the current PxxD(L) the front wheels are 8.5" wide; the rears are 9.0" wide. Refer to the specs on page 169 of the current owner's manual for more info.

I assume that those are same as the older P85+ but I cannot confirm.

Sure, but either 8.5" or 9.0" 21" wheels would fit on the back of the P85D or P85+, right? They stopped offering staggered and went square on the P85D anyways.

My understanding is that staggered or not is purely the wheel, and nothing else on the vehicle, as such you can stagger, or un-stagger any Model S simply by swapping wheels.

As I understand it, any Model S wheel will work on any Model S (with the usual caveats of making sure your front wheels are both the same, and your back wheels are both the same, and that on AWD models you probably (though not necessarily) want all 4 the same)

Also note that although the wheels themselves should be compatible for any MS, the TPMS sensors do differ depending on when the car was built, or, for older cars, if they've had the TPMS system upgraded.

Sure, but either 8.5" or 9.0" 21" wheels would fit on the back of the P85D or P85+, right? They stopped offering staggered and went square on the P85D anyways.

The current P85D and P90D, when equipped with the 21" wheels, come with staggered wheels. My P90D, delivered last November, definitely has staggered wheels and tires. Look at page 169 of the current owner's manual.

I am pretty certain the suspension is the same but is adjusted differently when equipped with the staggered wheels. We have both an 85D and a P90D and the P has more responsive handling than the 85D. It feels much sharper coming out of corners.

Yes - the staggered wheels will fit but I would have Tesla re-align the car if I was switching to staggered rears.