Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Will a baby car seat ruin my seats?

Will a car seat leave indentations on my seat? Do I need to put a seat cover on it? I have a Uppababy Mesa. On their site, it says it won't but I want to know what people's experiences are.

You do not need a mat with the MESA, as the base has a finished bottom that prevents damage to seats. If you do choose to use a mat, the only non-regulated mats approved and tested for use with the MESA include: Brica, Munchkin Auto Seat Protector, Diono Super Mat and Diono Ultra Mat.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: srlawren
Upvote 0
Will a car seat leave indentations on my seat? Do I need to put a seat cover on it? I have a Uppababy Mesa. On their site, it says it won't but I want to know what people's experiences are.

You do not need a mat with the MESA, as the base has a finished bottom that prevents damage to seats. If you do choose to use a mat, the only non-regulated mats approved and tested for use with the MESA include: Brica, Munchkin Auto Seat Protector, Diono Super Mat and Diono Ultra Mat.
My recommendation is to get a seat cover. I bought the Clek booster seat with the car seat cover as well. No indentations so far from an 8 yr old seating in it.

Upvote 0
Clek Foonf and oobr user here- we used these in our model 3 (white interior)

Brica Elite Seat Guardian Car... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HCOM1UI?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I feel ok using the pads since the latch system holds the booster / car seat, and friction underneath doesn’t matter.
What’s the underneath look like? Also why color is it? I have a white interior like yourself and am concerned about color transfer. Have you noticed any transfer of color from the protector to the white seat?

Upvote 0

EchoDelta

Supporting Member
What’s the underneath look like? Also why color is it? I have a white interior like yourself and am concerned about color transfer. Have you noticed any transfer of color from the protector to the white seat?
2 years of use as main car, zero color transfer. It is a semi-rigid ,fabric-coated material, with the 4 silicone blue pad thingies. The Oobr seat has an integrated back, so I wanted to protect that too. It is good quality. I just modded it with a small hole to have the rigid latch arms go through.

Upvote 0
2 years of use as main car, zero color transfer. It is a semi-rigid ,fabric-coated material, with the 4 silicone blue pad thingies. The Oobr seat has an integrated back, so I wanted to protect that too. It is good quality. I just modded it with a small hole to have the rigid latch arms go through.
Thanks for the information, I will probably end up getting this. Which color brica mat are you using?

Upvote 0

EchoDelta

Supporting Member
Thanks for the information, I will probably end up getting this. Which color brica mat are you using?
Color? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Hues of Old banana and green crayon with Matte chocolate and inlaid teddy fibers.
(Scratches, resisting temptation to sniff) Um.. Dark grey?

A fav feature is that it is semi-rigid and has these molded “ridges”. So a lot of cruft just remains there until I clean it up when they go off to college.

Reactions: hookups
Upvote 0
As someone who went through many car seats with 3 kids (just not the one you have) I say don't chance it and get a cover. I used the one on the link below and they were great. Thick cushion to absorb the dents made by car seats. To this day, many years later, they appear new. I still use them as seat covers when my kids are filty from camp and such.

I have the same cover in my Y. Good to know they've hold up nicely for you.

Upvote 0
I know you already ordered but I thought I would throw this out there too. I have this car seat protector in the light gray color. It looks great with the white seats and I have had zero color transfer. Have been beyond happy with it over the past 8 months. Before that, I had the black color version of it in my Model 3 for 2 years. It held up well and did its job protecting the seat.

Upvote 0
I know you already ordered but I thought I would throw this out there too. I have this car seat protector in the light gray color. It looks great with the white seats and I have had zero color transfer. Have been beyond happy with it over the past 8 months. Before that, I had the black color version of it in my Model 3 for 2 years. It held up well and did its job protecting the seat.

Great price!

Upvote 0
WARNING: Do not buy the Diono cover even though it was recommended by Uppababy. According to the thread below, it will stain the seats and has happened to other owners too

Upvote 0

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC