Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will a Model 3 20" performance wheel fit a Model Y?

RoBoRaT

Zero Farts Given!
Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
It will. But,

One unknown is the load rating for the 20" Sportwheels. I thought it was 900 kgs, which is enough, but I can't locate the source of that info

Anybody know?

It needs to be able to handle the heaviest GAWR of the Model Y, which is heavier than the Model 3.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200327-092904_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200327-092904_Drive.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 41

MJP.P3D-

Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2016
Chicago
Might fit but keep in mind that MY 20s are 9.5” wide while M3 20s are 8.5” wide. It’s likely that the offsets are different as well which may help/hurt. Good luck.

RoBoRaT

Zero Farts Given!
Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
No
Yeah, does anybody know or tried this yet?

No, not yet. Holding off until getting more info about load rating for 20" Sportwheels.

So, here is what I am thinking, see below:

TLDR: Since Model 3 20" Sportwheels are able to support up to certain GVWR, presumably it is ok to use on Model Y not to exceed the same GVWR.

I am not a tire/wheel expert - so I need better information. What is your opinion?

########

I'm thinking since the 20" Sportwheels can support the heaviest Model 3 Performance at:

GVWR: 5073 lb
Curb Wt: 4100 lb
Max Cargo: 973 lb

So, then it should be able to support Performance Model Y if I watch my total load, not to exceed PM3 GVWR of 5073 lb.

Performance Model Y
GVWR: 5302 lb
Curb Wt: 4416 lb
Max Cargo: 886 lb

886 lb is close to 826 lb (the one listed on my PMY label)

PM3 GVWR - PMY Curb Wt = Wt 20" SW should be able to support (me rationalizing lol)

5073 lb - 4416 lb = 657 lb

That is like 2 adult passengers at 175 lb each.
Plus 2 kids at 100 lb each.
And 107 lb of whatever else in cargo.

########

PS: with the above, seems to me the juice is not worth the squeeze...what say u :(o_O;)

Reactions: Fiddler

EV bud

Apr 23, 2017
SF
Analysis makes sense. My max human weight of 5 people will only be <400 lbs for some time so cargo of 250 lbs seems reasonable.

But is it worth risk...and I wonder if it fits over the Model Y hub lip I’ve seen in a video?

RoBoRaT

Zero Farts Given!
Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
Analysis makes sense. My max human weight of 5 people will only be <400 lbs for some time so cargo of 250 lbs seems reasonable.

But is it worth risk...and I wonder if it fits over the Model Y hub lip I’ve seen in a video?

The M3 20" SW fits the Performance Y hub.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up

Fry_Esq.

2020 Model Y / PUP / Blue / White / FSD
Mar 22, 2020
Sacramento, California

roach_779

Jun 7, 2020
Vancouver
Wow! I had my eyes on these rims ever since I saw them displayed on a Model Y. So are these rims from Tesla or somewhere else? I looked at Tesla shop and they didn't seem to sell just the rims. I did saw several of these on ebay. I will get the same tire size as you if you get smoother ride.

RoBoRaT

Zero Farts Given!
Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
This is a PUP right? How's the ride quality/sound/range compared to the 21s? Looks great. I'm considering dumping the 21s due to the harsh ride and noise.

It's a PUP Y!

Got 310 mile rated range on display after Tesla changed my wheel config OTA, to 20" wheels. I only had them on several hundred miles - so I can't say my ave wh/miles consumption is accurate vs staggered 21 tires.

See this post for comparison, I may have been speeding more on the 20s - hence the higher wh/mi: Range loss with the different wheel options

PuP ride is still stiff, but slightly better cushion feel from bumps on 20s. I now have 19" Geminis - so 19s definitely more cushion vs 20s vs 21s.
Again, the stiff PUP springs is still there.

My tires on the 20s are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Had humming drone sound on some "grated" roads at 50-70 mph, otherwise smooth drive on well maintained roads.

Wow! I had my eyes on these rims ever since I saw them displayed on a Model Y. So are these rims from Tesla or somewhere else? I looked at Tesla shop and they didn't seem to sell just the rims. I did saw several of these on ebay. I will get the same tire size as you if you get smoother ride.

They are Tesla Model 3 20" Sportwheels. You can buy them from Tesla Service Center, but costly, about $750 per wheel (anecdotal). Probably cheaper to buy take offs from M3 owners - don't pay more than $1600 for like new condition. Tire size is 255/40R20, same tire size as stock Model Y with 20" Inductions.

Fry_Esq.

2020 Model Y / PUP / Blue / White / FSD
Mar 22, 2020
Sacramento, California
It's a PUP Y!

Got 310 mile rated range on display after Tesla changed my wheel config OTA, to 20" wheels. I only had them on several hundred miles - so I can't say my ave wh/miles consumption is accurate vs staggered 21 tires.

See this post for comparison, I may have been speeding more on the 20s - hence the higher wh/mi: Range loss with the different wheel options

PuP ride is still stiff, but slightly better cushion feel from bumps on 20s. I now have 19" Geminis - so 19s definitely more cushion vs 20s vs 21s.
Again, the stiff PUP springs is still there.

My tires on the 20s are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Had humming drone sound on some "grated" roads at 50-70 mph, otherwise smooth drive on well maintained roads.

They are Tesla Model 3 20" Sportwheels. You can buy them from Tesla Service Center, but costly, about $750 per wheel (anecdotal). Probably cheaper to buy take offs from M3 owners - don't pay more than $1600 for like new condition. Tire size is 255/40R20, same tire size as stock Model Y with 20" Inductions.
Are you still at 45 psi on the 19s? I hear dropping the psi to 35 helps. I'd gladly give up range for comfort. These 21s are a bit brutal in my neighborhood.

RoBoRaT

Zero Farts Given!
Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
Are you still at 45 psi on the 19s? I hear dropping the psi to 35 helps. I'd gladly give up range for comfort. These 21s are a bit brutal in my neighborhood.

I start cold at 42 psi, gets to 47-48 midday in SoCal driving. 35 cold is kinda low, isn't it?

roach_779

Jun 7, 2020
Vancouver
Question, is the rims you got is the same 20 inch rims (20X8.5) that Tesla paints grey? So, any 20 inch rims I buy from Model 3 owners should work or there are other 20 inch versions? Also, what's the widest tire and height you suggest? I did some quick reading that I shouldn't get tires over 20mm wider than rims. Is that correct or doesn't apply to Tesla?

Heck, I should just go with your setup and be done with. I think too much.

• Funny
Reactions: RoBoRaT

RoBoRaT

Zero Farts Given!
Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
Question, is the rims you got is the same 20 inch rims (20X8.5) that Tesla paints grey? So, any 20 inch rims I buy from Model 3 owners should work or there are other 20 inch versions? Also, what's the widest tire and height you suggest? I did some quick reading that I shouldn't get tires over 20mm wider than rims. Is that correct or doesn't apply to Tesla?

Heck, I should just go with your setup and be done with. I think too much.

Yes and no, there are earlier 20" Sportwheels have +40 offset. But otherwise, new versions are +35 offset.

I use this calculator site..it will show tire fitment for wheel size: tiresize.com

And this tire, 255/40R20s: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus 255/40R20

Last edited:
Reactions: roach_779

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC