TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Will a mountain bike with 29" wheels fit in a Model S without removing wheels?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Esmcmaha, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Esmcmaha

Esmcmaha Member

Hi, first time poster. I'm seriously considering a Model S as my next purchase. I'm a pretty avid cyclist, both road and mountain. I have been unable to find an answer to my question elsewhere on the internet so hoping someone here can help me: Will a mountain bike with 29" wheels fit in the back of a model s without roving wheels? I assume this will likely entail putting the back seats down, which I'm fine with. I insist on transporting my bikes inside the auto (probably have too much invested in them), so this is an important part of my decision making. Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Without REMOVING wheels. Sorry.

2. Tampaukfan

Tampaukfan Member

Another member posted photos with their road bike with both wheels on fitting just fine.
    29er should fit unless you are riding an XL. My S has the executive rear seat option(seat does not fold down) and my road fits in the bike with both wheels off (51.5cm Pinarello). I have a 29er too, but I wouldnt think of putting it in my car even if it did fit. I always have my buddies pick me up for my mountain bike rides.

3. docgarner

docgarner Member

Had to take my bike (a Gary Fisher 29'er) into the shop today. I can state with certainty it fits. Even before you take a wheel off which is always an option.

4. stevej119

stevej119 Member

I own a retail bicycle business (and until a few days ago a Model S) and transported bikes between my stores regularly with the seat folded down. I also regularly transported my own mountain bike with 27.5 wheels and 19.5" frame. I am tell you that you will need to remove the front wheel on a mountain bike unless you put it in front wheel first. Rear wheel first is definitely the better way to go.

5. tliving

tliving Member

Here's a 54cm Trek Domane 4.0 in my Model S. No issues, but you do lose the back seat. I couldn't find a way to keep just one part of the seat up.
    IMG_2779.jpg

6. eujinc

eujinc Member

Yes, a 29er will fit without removing the wheels, unless perhaps you have an XL frame - then you might have to takeoff the front wheel. Just be careful if you have extra wide handlebars. Might have to angle it a bit to clear the rear hatch.

IMG_7481.jpg

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. Esmcmaha

Esmcmaha Member

Now THAT is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you much. I ride a medium, so should be able to get it in there. Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses.