Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

will a SC install a tow hitch after taking delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ordering a Model Y, but on the fence on the tow hitch. If I don't order the hitch from the factory can I have a SC or Tesla install that later?

I don't have an urgent need for the hitch, and I'd rather save the taxes and 1K on the value of the car if I can, but at some point in the future I'm sure I'll wanna haul some bikes or stuff with me, and don't want to be stuck without it.

I know uhaul will install a hitch on a normal car for a fraction of the 1K price tesla charges, but wondering people's thoughts/recommendations on this.

Short answer: yes. You can have Tesla install it before or after delivery.

Uhaul doesn't list hitches yet for M-Y yet (although they do for S and 3). I doubt they'll touch something they don't have explicit instructions for (even though the 3 and Y install process is really close)

Short answer: yes. You can have Tesla install it before or after delivery.

Uhaul doesn't list hitches yet for M-Y yet (although they do for S and 3). I doubt they'll touch something they don't have explicit instructions for (even though the 3 and Y install process is really close)
Do think if the hitch is added after the order, the service center won’t install it until you sign delivery paperwork. And near end of quarter they’d rather you take the car; and come back to install it w more time.
Source: happened to me (Seattle). Don’t expect 100% consistency thou across SCs and DSs

Do think if the hitch is added after the order, the service center won’t install it until you sign delivery paperwork. And near end of quarter they’d rather you take the car; and come back to install it w more time.
Source: happened to me (Seattle). Don’t expect 100% consistency thou across SCs and DSs
Yeah, sounds like a call or email to the SC to find out.

Reactions: EchoDelta