Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

Will a Tesla powerwall work for me?

If I designed my system correctly, I should rarely or never see the generator powering the home. PGE power is 47% from Natural Gas.

Are you sure you are going to get enough winter solar production? If you do not you are going to be getting a large fuel bill.

What happens if one of your inverters fails? What happens if your generator fails? What happens if a battery fails or your gateway fails?

You will probably want to ensure that you have paid up front for some first rate service when the inevitable piece of equipment fails that takes out your mini grid.

I have gone through long power outages, 22 days being the longest and the fuel bill for running a generator is very expensive, even while going with no power all night while sleeping...

Best of luck!

Reactions: h2ofun

cali8484

Jul 8, 2018
California
So, that suggests there is different PW setting for "true" off-grid mode where the generator is connected to the normal grid connection but with additional generator control connections and operation. It sounds similar to the Enphase generator solution where they turn on/off generator based on battery SOC thresholds and the main purpose for generator is battery charging rather than powering loads.

I was able to get a copy of the off-grid guide and the generator support works as suspected:

1628180522753.png

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC