Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will a Tesla work for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Short answer is, yes you will love it. Longer answer is…

When I researched buying a Tesla I thought a lot about charging both at home and at superchargers. After having it for a while I realized that I way overthought charging. I still have never been to a supercharger in the 6 months I’ve had it. I do small trips most of the time and maybe one or two longer roads trips per year. I probably don’t need more than a 120v for home charging. The wall connector is nice, but I probably didn’t really need it.

Parking for several weeks is not a problem. A member recently posted their experience parking for two weeks at temps just under 40F and they lost only 2%. Just make sure to turn of features that will drain battery such as sentry mode and avoid frequently checking the app as it wakes the car.
Exactly the same for me...I thought I needed a fast charger at home...until I realized that getting one installed in France wasn’t as easy as I thought...we do however have 220v as standard and an ordinary socket gives me just over 12 miles an hour charging. In fact after a while charging goes from all the time to everyday to once a week now...range anxiety is a real disease but it’s easily curable

There is a Supercharger in the middle of Aligator Alley, and also in middle of HWY 41. Makes travel easy.

Your dash computer will tell you how long you should expect to stop to reach your destination with the amount of reserve you choose.

Electricity is relatively inexpensive in Florida. Great place to own a Tesla.
Uncle Paul, where in the Sarasota area is there a supercharger on Hwy 41? I don’t see it on the map. I spent the week down there this past weekend and, although I didn’t need a charge to complete my trip, I’d like to know for future reference.

Uncle Paul, where in the Sarasota area is there a supercharger on Hwy 41? I don’t see it on the map. I spent the week down there this past weekend and, although I didn’t need a charge to complete my trip, I’d like to know for future reference.

Not Paul, but the map shows one opening in Sarasota this quarter roughly at the intersection of 41 and 780.

There's already one in Sarasota at 140 University Town Center Drive, about 5 miles away from that spot as well.

Did he say what would be required to install the outlet When I had a 220 50 amp circuit installed in my detached garage they had to trench 52 feet. They had to replace the fuse panel in the garage and run new wire for the 120 volt that was already in the garage. Wasn't cheap. But it is all up to code.

Last edited:
I am interested in getting the Tesla 3 , but I question the practicality of it for us.
First off, I do NOT have access to a 220V outlet at my house. THe electricians tell me a Major major project to get a line to my garage.

Second, my driving consists of 2 most common trips - many times a week I do short drives - 1 - 3 miles.
And several times a year I'll do a long drive - 300 miles or so. Last time I made the trip, I purposely looked for chargers on I-75's Alligator Alley. Few & far between it seemed. And even where there are chargers, what does one do while charging - sit in the car for hours to get the charge?
Lastly, once I get there, I may be leaving my car in a parking garage for 3 - 4 weeks.

Does all this mitigate against being a Tesla owner?

Thanks

Don't buy one without a 220V.
I started out trickle charging, and found that it gave me severe range anxiety...I'd be asking myself if I really wanted to drive 30 miles knowing that I'd have to charge for 6 hours to make up for it. Drove me crazy.
I'm sure others have dealt with it with no issues, but I can't imagine having a Tesla without faster charging.

I am interested in getting the Tesla 3 , but I question the practicality of it for us.
First off, I do NOT have access to a 220V outlet at my house. THe electricians tell me a Major major project to get a line to my garage.

Second, my driving consists of 2 most common trips - many times a week I do short drives - 1 - 3 miles.
And several times a year I'll do a long drive - 300 miles or so. Last time I made the trip, I purposely looked for chargers on I-75's Alligator Alley. Few & far between it seemed. And even where there are chargers, what does one do while charging - sit in the car for hours to get the charge?
Lastly, once I get there, I may be leaving my car in a parking garage for 3 - 4 weeks.

Does all this mitigate against being a Tesla owner?

Thanks
Try putting your sample trips in ABRP, A Better Routeplanner. The better your inputs, the better your results. Just inputting what we know, Sarasota up I70, about 300 miles, you may be going to Valdosta, GA. That's 298 miles, and there are two superchargers, Ocala and Lake City, on your route. If you drive 115% of the speed limit, you can do the trip in 4h15min. Inputting your trip into google maps, I get 4hr, so you spend an additional 15mins traveling. When you stop, you visit the men's room, and get a coffee, takes 10 mins, and that's how long you need to charge, at two stops. Most people stop once or twice, anyway, with an ICE, so you shouldn't have to take any additional time for charging. If you only normally stop once, then you have one additional stop which is 10mins more.