Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will a US Tesla Powerwall work in Europe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given VAT and customs fees in Europe, and the tendency for European authorities to want their own particular stamp on things, I would research the regulatory side of it pretty carefully before attempting it, but that's just me.

All the best,

BG

(Who is still smarting many years later from paying 200% VAT on a loaner tablet, assessed on the assigned value and shipping fees, sent overnight express to a European collaborator, on top of the six week delay while it was "misplaced" in customs...)

Given VAT and customs fees in Europe, and the tendency for European authorities to want their own particular stamp on things, I would research the regulatory side of it pretty carefully before attempting it, but that's just me.

All the best,

BG

(Who is still smarting many years later from paying 200% VAT on a loaner tablet, assessed on the assigned value and shipping fees, sent overnight express to a European collaborator, on top of the six week delay while it was "misplaced" in customs...)
Thanks, there will be no taxes for this as part of the move, however I still debate if I should do it and if it's 100% doable, ie who is going to install them there Tesla etc?

Thanks, there will be no taxes for this as part of the move, however I still debate if I should do it and if it's 100% doable, ie who is going to install them there Tesla etc?

To me, this would be like shipping a tesla vehicle there (which most advice says dont do it, sell it here and buy again there). You are likely better off selling it (or leaving it with your home) and buying new there.

Like.... what type of warranty would it have? "imported things" dont always have the same warranty, and that would be important for a device that has a 10 year warranty, at least to me.

To me, this would be like shipping a tesla vehicle there (which most advice says dont do it, sell it here and buy again there). You are likely better off selling it (or leaving it with your home) and buying new there.

Like.... what type of warranty would it have? "imported things" dont always have the same warranty, and that would be important for a device that has a 10 year warranty, at least to me.
Thanks I see your point. However taking a Tesla car with you is doable and others did it. Yes, you need to swap the modem, map work, however if you have free SC and paid off the car is totally worth it. In the case of PW I cannot simply repurchase them there w/o buying their solar roof, which I have little interest for...On the other hand leaving my 5 PW founder series and gw 2 with my house will increase its value for sure.