Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will after market mats be necessary or will the Tesla mats be up to snuff?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right; but, the passenger mats being different in these two is what I'm getting at:

mat1.png
mat2.png

(I'd prefer the well-shaped one on the right than a simple rectangular piece)

Nice! Well priced, I'd say.

Btw, what's that big rectangular piece in the "2 Pc Front w/1 Pc 2nd Seat Car Mat" choice? For the front passenger-side? If so, why is it not shaped appropriately like in the "2 Pc Front Mats" choice?

You can't go by those rather crude drawings, but if in doubt and you want to order, I'd contact Lloyd's directly. They have been very responsive to my inquiries.

- - - Updated - - -

So would you recommend these rubber mat for a place like Texas with no snow or the Luxe mat?
:: Auto Mat Collection :: Largest mat collection of famous auto brands!

I don't think you'd need the rubber mats. If you concerned about some of that Texas dirt, Lloyd's makes a custom fit clear protector that fits over the Luxe mats: Protector | Lloyd Mats

Here is a picture of the passenger footwell with no mat (I vacuumed first; the black really shows dirt):

IMG_4714.JPG

And here it is with Tesla's mat:

IMG_4715.JPG

The upside is that it's velcro'd down nicely, matches the interior very well, and looks pretty good. Let's take it out of the car and have a peek:

IMG_4710.JPG

Hmm. It is surprisingly light and fairly thin; while it's a lot better than the original mat that came with the Roadster, it is not as nice as the one that they started shipping around Jan 2011. I could be wrong, but I don't have a lot of confidence that it will wear well. Here's a shot where you can see the edge:

IMG_4712.JPG

And here's the back with the velcro:

IMG_4711.JPG

Given that these are pretty thin, and there are no mats for the rear seats or cargo area, I will probably go shopping soon (thanks to those that have already posted links).

As an aside, I've gotten so used to seeing the center console with the ribs I thought cars were shipping with them :(

Yeah, I was hoping for that too. I asked the owner experience team, and they said that was just a styling exercise; it is not and will not be a standard feature. It might be an option in the future.

Incidentally, I asked about a dozen items (creep, hill-hold, Wifi, voice control, sunglass cubby, memory settings, door handle auto-extend, smartphone app, programmable charging, notification of charging end, etc) and all of them are coming and will be available for free to existing owners. The trim in the center console was the only thing they said wasn't coming. So we have plenty of good stuff to look forward to!

In the meantime for mats, I found some rubber mats from KRACO at Walmart that match my tan leather exactly and offset all the black carpet pretty well until weathertight and others are available.

Thanks for the info Chad S. All of these features would be welcomed. I got my first SW update a couple nights ago. I wish I knew exactly what was in it, but they evidently tweaked the charging algorithms and the handle extension now seems to require a touch to the drivers handle first (probably for safety of others jumping in first). Did anyone else notice anything else different?

I got in touch with one of my favorite suppliers of custom mats, WeatherTech.
They said that their custom mats will soon be available for Model S - if you go to this link, there is a request form to be emailed when that product is ready.

I love and use these WeatherTech mats in winter myself. I know a couple of others (and I) completed the request form a while back, so I'm glad to see they've listened!

Because they are like a pan, they are the only mats I've found that prevent the snow and dirt from simply running off the side of the mat and on to the carpet.

I love and use these WeatherTech mats in winter myself. I know a couple of others (and I) completed the request form a while back, so I'm glad to see they've listened!

Agreed. Have used them in the past winters here. They work very well. I filled out the request form a while back as well.

While we're on the subject, I've never driven a car with a metal "gas" pedal or brake pedal. Does anyone think with wet boots these might be slippery during the winter?

Any update on this? Hoping to see black mats with tan interior. I don't see tesla on the distribution sites yet.

I'm taking the Luxe samples with me on a business trip to the Bay Area next week. I'll visit the Menlo Park store next Thursday and I'll take photos against all of the leather colors. I'll post the photos as soon as I can.

Also, if you check some of the online sites listed on the Lloyd's web site, you can order the mats now. Follow this link: http://www.ultimateautoaccessories.com/Brand/Lloyd/Heavyweight.htm#hw. It's one of the sites that's taking orders. When you see the diagrams of the mats for the Tesla, don't be scared off by the inaccuracy of the drawings -- they're generic. If you want the full set, you'd order 2 Pc Front w/1 Pc 2nd Seat Car Mat, Standard Trunk Mat $199.00, and Small Deck Mat $123.00 (but not if you have or are planning to order the rear facing child seats).

Based on the samples and the photos posted here of the stock mats, the Lloyd's have a much deeper and dense pile. And as I'll be ordering a blue Model S with tan seats/interior the navy blue Luxe color looks very appealing. One of the several shades of tan available may also work, but I'd be concerned about dirt on that color.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: