Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will all Ys for Europe be produced in Europe?

Daniel_R

May 1, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi,

During the Q3 call, Elon said that the location of Gigafactory Europe will be announced before end of 2019. Given the speed ot Gigafactory Shanghai, could Tesla have GF Europe up and running in a year?

In that case, Tesla cold decide to produce all Ys for Europe in Europe, as the Y is not planned until 2021 anyway,

What do you think?

Best,

Daniel

Dan Detweiler

Apr 21, 2016
Canton, Georgia
When do you want it? A European Gigafactory isn't going to get built overnight and when it does, what model or models will be the first off the production line? My guess will be Model 3s for a year or so. I would think european made Model Ys are 4-5 years out.

Dan

Rockster

Oct 22, 2013
McKinney, TX
I'm having trouble envisioning a Gigafactory being built as quickly in Europe as it was built in China. I suspect there will be more bureaucracy to deal with in the European project.

When it's built, though, I suspect that they'll build 3's and Y's at the same time, just like they're going to do here once the Y is released.

Reactions: azjohn

Jeff3820

Aug 1, 2019
Wisconsin
The European Gigafactory will take longer. No/less government intervention to assist like in China plus more bureaucracy and regulations. In addition, the unions will play a key role...no escaping unions in Europe.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC