Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will an 18" wheel work on a 2016 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would be for a spare. I have a car on order and have been looking into spare options...originally I was thinking a temporary spare but don't want to be limited in speed and range if it takes a week or so before i have a chance to repair/replace a tire. The temp one from BMW X3 F25 Spare Tire Kit (Emergency Space Saver) : Bimmerzone.com that I've seen recommended actually seems to be an 18-incher. Yet in a chat with tirerack.com they say that an 18" wheel won't work with the MS...it won't clear the caliper. Is that correct or not? I'd like to pick an 18 if it is workable because there can be a slight weight and space savings (I can pick something a bit skinnier than OEM).

Reactions: artsci
I am not very familiar with cars in general nor the Model S. But, yes and no. The front lower aft (adjusts camber with an inboard eccentric adjusting bolt) and front lower forward arm (adjusts the caster with an inboard eccentric adjusting bolt) outboard ball joint bolt-ends are more of a clearance issue for an 18" full size wheel than the the caliper itself. An aftermarket 18" full size spare would occupy approx. the same volume (take up as much interior space) as an OEM 19" full size spare anyway since the O.D. (27 3/4" nominal, off the top of my head) would nearly be the same, so basicically there would be very little (maybe a few lbs.) advantage of choosing an 18 over a 19" spare even if the 18" did fit.

I haven't bothered to find a (almost) full size comparable O.D. revs/mile narrower than a 245 19" tire since I am card carrying donut member since spring '13.

Last edited: