Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Android eventually run in Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The system that runs the console is walled off from the system(s) that handles the critical components that run the car. Just because your console crashes doesn't mean that your car won't function. Think of them as two separate systems that can talk to one another (hey car, please open the pano-roof) rather than one system with the touchscreen as your input mechanism.

If you used Android to run the console, that doesn't mean that Android is the OS running your car. Just the tablet in your car.

I don't have an Android phone any more, but my fiancee does. I would say it requires more reboots than my Win7 computers. I have always thought and have experienced simple phone hangup errors in Android often that require a reboot, or battery pull. It might just be me, or the phones I have had.

I can't say for sure, but I'd think probably the phones you have had. I do sometimes need to reboot Android phones, but no more or less than I had to reboot my iPhone, and certainly a lot less than I need to reboot my Win7 machines and Mac. I suspect that's mostly just because those systems are much more complex and I use them more; there's a lot more opportunity for things to go wrong.

Ahh but if my car runs Android, those games will get put onto the system. And they will cause problems.

I don't understand...how are these games going to get on your car if Tesla doesn't offer them in their store? Are you going to side-load them with a USB drive (certainly possible). If so, you only have yourself to blame. Again, this is no reason not to use Android.

I think it is better to build a wall, then your garden inside of it (using a custom OS), than taking a huge garden and trying to wall it up (taking an OS and securing it).

Got to disagree, if you have build both the wall and the garden, then it's a ton more work than just building the wall. Resources are limited, especially when you are a car company, not a software company. You are going to do a poor job building both your wall and your garden, and it'll take many iterations just to catch up to where you could have been if you only built the wall.

Like I said before, if something exists that meets all your requirements, is freely available, and open source, you should use it. From my perspective Android meets the bill. However, I don't work for Tesla, so it is very possible---perhaps even likely---that Android did not meet some requirement which necessitated them building their own OS. I doubt very much the reason was stability, security, or performance. Android is more than adequate in these areas (for the console, I wouldn't use it for mission critical systems), especially if you develop your own app store and block access to the Google Play store.

But, I'm sure there is a reason. They didn't just do it for fun.

In theory you are right. I guess though that given how many digital controls (via the screen) there are, many people would regard the car as undrivable.

Haha, yes. I didn't say it would be a pleasant experience, my point is just that your car won't come rolling to a stop until your console reboots. I've had MyFord Touch crash a few times while driving my wife's car. It's irritating cause the music stops playing, but in a minute or two it is back up and all is good again.

Haha, yes. I didn't say it would be a pleasant experience....

We've had air temps in the high 90's this week, with humidity(!), and road temps of up to 110F. I would regard any car without A/C as undrivable except for short distances. The A/C controls are through the touchscreen. Fortunately I have faith in Tesla that this is not going to be a problem. The Roadster has some quirks but AFAIK nobody has ever complained about about a software crash; Model S is a significant degree of difficulty more advanced, but experience suggests that Tesla knows what they are doing.

Driving a Model S when the computer crashes or needs to be rebooted means you could lose it all: A/C, speedometer, transmission/gear shift, music, and ironically...."check engine" alerts on the screen (or its EV equivalent).

Although I'd love to have jumped on the upgrade opportunity Tesla gave me to move up from Production to Sig, there are just so many unknowns at this point. I'd hate for the car to have so many "quirks" it irritates the hell out of me that I dislike the vehicle. (Yes, I'm picky like that. That's why I feel have to wait for formal reviews before accepting delivery).

Although I'd love to have jumped on the upgrade opportunity Tesla gave me to move up from Production to Sig, there are just so many unknowns at this point. I'd hate for the car to have so many "quirks" it irritates the hell out of me that I dislike the vehicle. (Yes, I'm picky like that. That's why I feel have to wait for formal reviews before accepting delivery).
I'm not sure if it's well-founded or just under-cautious optimism, but I've been assuming -- based on the opinions of Roadster owners on the forum -- that Tesla will be very proactive about servicing the earlier vehicles so that they don't remain "lesser" than any "just built" vehicle for very long.

That's in an absolute sense.

In the relative sense of "having to live with quirks from the time you obtain the vehicle until they are fixed on any Model S", well yes -- early ownership means you necessarily will have more of that.

Driving a Model S when the computer crashes or needs to be rebooted means you could lose it all: A/C, speedometer, transmission/gear shift, music, and ironically...."check engine" alerts on the screen (or its EV equivalent).

This is very unlikely because there isn't really a "computer", the "duties" are spread out. I don't know the Tesla specifics but my speculation is that there will be at least the following ( and some may have multiples and/or redundancy):

Battery
Inverter
Charger
Climate
Brakes
Cruise
12V system
Display 1
Display 2
Security
Audio

Although I'd love to have jumped on the upgrade opportunity Tesla gave me to move up from Production to Sig, there are just so many unknowns at this point. I'd hate for the car to have so many "quirks" it irritates the hell out of me that I dislike the vehicle.

I've never driven a vehicle that didn't have quirks. However, I've never driven a Bentley or RR either--perhaps they don't have any.

(Yes, I'm picky like that. That's why I feel have to wait for formal reviews before accepting delivery).

Given the quality of most formal reviews--at least the ones I've seen for various products, including cars--I wouldn't base any purchase decision on them. A prime example is Jalopnick:

In Revenge of the Electric Car they call the Model S vapourware and state that Tesla doesn't have the talent or finances to develop a sedan. Between then and today they've been generally dismissive of Tesla. Today they say don't trust any early reviews. This is similar to the public statements (aka inscriptions) by the Pharaohs of Egypt when they were losing: First I took Aswan, then I took Thebes, then I took Assiut. The problem is that each city is closer to Cairo that the previous one, so the Pharaoh's army was actually being beaten at every city.

Today they say don't trust any early reviews. This is similar to the public statements (aka inscriptions) by the Pharaohs of Egypt when they were losing: First I took Aswan, then I took Thebes, then I took Assiut. The problem is that each city is closer to Cairo that the previous one, so the Pharaoh's army was actually being beaten at every city.

You definitely provide some great insight into Tesla ownership! The above statement could only come from a well-rounded, cultured person (i.e. not me!). How the heck does one remember information such as that? :)

I definitely won't be basing my purchase on a few car mag reviews. What I'm looking for are quirks that I cannot stand. Right now, I drive a Prius and there are no quirks (after having added an OEM bluetooth music streaming module). For example, how does one open the Model S doors if the fob is not around but the doors are left unlocked? I'm sure this question is well-known and I just don't know the answer myself, but ...that's why I feel compelled to wait a little (though it was extraordinarily difficult to turn down the Sig upgrade they offered me. I still kick myself.). I could try to educate myself on the Model S more, but I'm a pretty busy dude and prefer for all the info to be distilled in a few car review articles.

Anyway, just a few more days of wait to find out!

One other benefit of waiting is Greece's vote tomorrow and "disorganized contagion" as I call it...

For example, how does one open the Model S doors if the fob is not around but the doors are left unlocked? I'm sure this question is well-known and I just don't know the answer myself, but ...that's why I feel compelled to wait a little. I could try to educate myself on the Model S more, but I'm a pretty busy dude and prefer for all the info to be distilled in a few car review articles.

You just have to read these forums compulsively every day, and you'll know all the answers! :biggrin: The specific "for example" answer is that you tap the outside of the door handle, and it glides out.

Below is the e-mail reply I received from a Tesla Motors rep on the 15th but never bothered to post in this forum. The response contains a signature footer by Peter Welch (Ownership Experience Advocate) which I did not include in the quote since I am unsure if I should be posting their direct e-mail address.

Happy Friday George,

You can relax by knowing that the base we build our UI on is not an Android build. It is based on UNIX, however, and there are plans to allow for app development on our "Platform."

So that's the good news. The mixed news, however, is that we will not be offering viewings of the test drive cars outside of those who are invited to drive and the guests they bring. Since it appears you like to check out the forums, perhaps an invited reservation-holder will be so kind as to invite you along. Heck, you may even get an invite yourself.

Regardless, enjoy this weekend and next.

Kind Wishes,

Ownership Experience Team
[email protected]
1-877-77-TESLA (877-778-3752)

I'm a software engineer and I've done development on Linux, Android, and iOS, so I think I can help here.

Unless your requirements are dramatically different than what is already out there, reuse something that exists.

Same background as Citizen-T and totally agree with him.

Tesla missed a big opportunity to come out the gate with thousands of developer looking at adapting their EXISTING applications to this new Android platform.
They still could have acted as the gatekeeper, to preserve the User experience, by somehow acting as the only approved source of applications, i.e the Tesla App Store, (and collect $$ in the process)

Instead, we will be lucky to see a few apps in a few years, for such a small market .

There is a lot of Apple's "control the user experience"/walled garden attitude around everything Tesla, that in some cases, limit potential, like in the apps dimension. (Charging is another that comes to mind...)

My 2 cents...

Tesla missed a big opportunity to come out the gate with thousands of developer looking at adapting their EXISTING applications to this new Android platform.

There is always a chance of adding an emulator for the Android environment. That emulator would need frequent updates to keep pace with the development speed of $100 throw-away devices. Tesla should not aim to update the in-car OS at that pace, otherwise it would be a challenge to control quality.
Android apps in an emulator would never make full use of being in an automotive environment, connecting with information from the car like location, speed, SOC, to make for a new user experience.

Same background as Citizen-T and totally agree with him.

They still could have acted as the gatekeeper, to preserve the User experience, by somehow acting as the only approved source of applications, i.e the Tesla App Store, (and collect $$ in the process)

Instead, we will be lucky to see a few apps in a few years, for such a small market .

There is a lot of Apple's "control the user experience"/walled garden attitude around everything Tesla, that in some cases, limit potential, like in the apps dimension. (Charging is another that comes to mind...)

My 2 cents...

I sort of see it as "so?". How many android apps are ideal for a quick porting to a car? Quick tip calculators? Angrybirds? Even if the app makes sense, it should be rebuilt specifically for the model S environment, make it a simple matter of recompiling an API and we'll end up with a bunch of crap. Make the cost of admission higher and we get some quality, purpose-built apps. Remember, this isn't windows phone, the model s doesn't need a lot of apps to compete against other Eco systems. Give me quality over quantity.

I sort of see it as "so?". How many android apps are ideal for a quick porting to a car? Quick tip calculators? Angrybirds? Even if the app makes sense, it should be rebuilt specifically for the model S environment, make it a simple matter of recompiling an API and we'll end up with a bunch of crap. Make the cost of admission higher and we get some quality, purpose-built apps. Remember, this isn't windows phone, the model s doesn't need a lot of apps to compete against other Eco systems. Give me quality over quantity.

What AO said...And for goodness sakes, let's not introduce viruses into this car! Android has had issues with this, due to open architecture. It's a strong argument for protecting the garden. In addition, whatever is installed in this car must still leave a certain degree of liability to Tesla given that it can be used while driving (I'm glad that we have full access to that luscious panel while in motion). It is entirely possible that an app that sufficiently distracts the driver will kill this option for the rest of us, once a series of yokels start rear-ending people or striking pedestrians while angry-birding their way through traffic. You can't have everything, so enjoy everything about what you have.

No, no. It's not about being able to port existing apps, it's about not having to learn a new environment with a new API, and all the costs associated with that. Developers aren't going to be easy to attract because it's a lot if work, and 20,000 cars a year is nothing when held against the several hundred thousand Android devices that are activated each day.

They should have tapped into this existing ecosystem, IMHO.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

+1 AnOutsider and spatterso911 - I don't really see the vast majority of phone apps adding to my driving experience. And if there really is a case to be made for duplicating in the console an app I already have on my phone, it's probably worth my paying for it again. I see the Tesla App store as being more for truly useful (and expensive) apps developed by Tesla. I'll take Adaptive Cruise control for $1000 Alex.

I'm feeling lazy so I'm not going looking for it again, but a couple of days ago I read a post here or on Tesla's forum about a test driver who managed to hang the Tesla console with a bad MP3 or something. The "passenger seat advocate" had him hold both steering wheel buttons for several seconds and it rebooted. No effect on driving, but apparently the climate control stopped working during the reboot. I don't remember any talk of the console behind (in front of?) the steering wheel rebooting too... I imagine at least the "now playing" display and such would blank.