Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will AP 2 ever be “Upgraded” to AP 1.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP 1.0 offered functionality on other than divided highways. AP 2.0 removed that capability (does “creep mode” offer any Lane following? ), even though it was heavily advertised on numerous videos.

Even my Volkswagen golf can do Lane following up on secondary road (even though it next to you after 10 seconds).

Even my Volkswagen golf can do Lane following on secondary road (even though it mags you after 10 seconds). When will we see a return to the old functionality?

AP 1.0 offered functionality on other than divided highways. AP 2.0 removed that capability (does “creep mode” offer any Lane following? ), even though it was heavily advertised on numerous videos.

Even my Volkswagen golf can do Lane following up on secondary road (even though it next to you after 10 seconds).

Even my Volkswagen golf can do Lane following on secondary road (even though it mags you after 10 seconds). When will we see a return to the old functionality?

What are you talking about? AP 2.x navigates secondary roads just fine, with no fewer core capabilities than AP 1.

What the heck does creep mode have to do with AP? Completely separate functionality.

What is this "old functionality" that you speak of? I've owned a Model S and a Model 3 since early 2015 and no core functionality has been removed from any version of AP.

I can barely figure out what you're trying to say here.

I feel like saying what your avatar is saying.

Wait. What?

What are you talking about with AP2.0 concerning lane following? My model 3 with AP2.0 followed the lanes just fine this morning.

Are you "fud"ing us?

Reactions: jimmyz80
Have both versions:
AP 1: reads signs, great on highway, stops less abruptly, can change lane on all roads, local driving is not always perfect

AP2: much better local driving but no lane changes yet, highway & local driving very good but has some occasional phantoms and more abrupt stopping, doesn’t read signs.

Ultimately, when 9 is unveiled AP2 will be much better than 1.0

Reactions: mongo
Have both versions:
AP 1: reads signs, great on highway, stops less abruptly, can change lane on all roads, local driving is not always perfect

AP2: much better local driving but no lane changes yet, highway & local driving very good but has some occasional phantoms and more abrupt stopping, doesn’t read signs.

Ultimately, when 9 is unveiled AP2 will be much better than 1.0

My AP2 changes lanes just fine. I'm not sure what you mean.

What does AP 1 read signs for?
What does AP 1 use sign read data for?

Untrue. The OP clearly knows a lot about VW Golfs. He’s a real Golfer.

I know nothing about VW Golfs but I will ask OP about mine if I am ever dumb enough to buy one.

You ask this dumbass his thoughts next week. :D

Not sure if I can convince VW that I am trading in a 3P+ if I don’t have the spoiler and badge to prove it?

B digit in the vin is the same for both P and AWD.

Reactions: xyeahtony
AP2 is already better than AP1. Wait until firmware 9.0.

AP2 improved so much in the last 4 months I had my car. I went from "damn, I wasted $5,000" to "I can't live without it". I was going to get a $64,000 performance or a $61,000 AWD with AP2 as my next car. I went with the AP2 over performance.

Some can buy both (performance and EAP) but as a 3 Tesla family I have to keep the cost down.

I apologize, I don’t have my M3 yet (Monday), but I had read on *numerous* current threads that current AP only works on highways with divided medians (and nobody is correcting those threads).

What am I missing with the contradiction in the threads on TMC?

My bad, the OP was based on what other people were telling me on other threads. Apologies, again.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
I apologize, I don’t have my M3 yet (Monday), but I had read on *numerous* current threads that current AP only works on highways with divided medians (and nobody is correcting those threads).

Do you have a link?

Tesla recommends that EAP not be used an city streets, probably for managing expectations, but it'll function there to an extent.

My bad, the OP was based on what other people were telling me on other threads. Apologies, again.

In AP2, lane changes are restricted to limited access highways. In an AP1 car, more roads allow lane changes. Still not all surface streets, but definitely more.

AP2 cars do not read speed limit signs.

Everything else is "roughly" the same or better with AP2 (or AP2.5). It works on side roads, etc.

Now, with that said, AP (1 & 2) is recommended only for limited access highways. Please keep aware of your surroundings and monitor the vehicle at all times!!! Driver is responsible.

Autopilot (all versions, including AP1) behaves differently on roads that are GPS tagged as divided highways than other roads, but it's perfectly functional on both.

In particular, there are a number of folks that are annoyed that on what the car believes are undivided roads it limits the maximum speed TACC can be set at while Autosteer is active to 5 mph above what it believes the speed limit is in the area.

(The car is right about both beliefs the vast majority of the time, but there are areas that are wrong in the databases and cases where it misreads signs, especially school zones and other part time speed limits or limits for adjacent road sets.)

The one that won't operate on local roads (and some interstates) at all is Cadillac Supercruise - GM has that set up so the road must have been recorded by their LIDAR scanning vehicles, processed, and the resulting map tiles downloaded by the car before it'll allow Supercruise on that road.

Reactions: ℬête Noire

AP works on all roads (including Autosteer). There are two limitations when not on a restricted-access highway - Auto Lane Change does not work and Autosteer maximum speed is 5 mph over the posted speed limit (or what Tesla believes is the posted speed limit). The speed limit does not apply to just TACC.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
No as AP 2/2.5 will be upgraded to AP 3.0 if you purchased FSD. Jim Keller designed the chip. This is the same guy that designed Apple iPhone CPUs, AMD Athlon and AMD Zen/Ryzen, cofounder of the x86-64 instruction set, Hypertransport and even the old DEC Alpha CPUs. He tends to change jobs after completing a design. He has worked for Apple, AMD, Tesla and now Intel.

Everything he touches is gold so I purchased FSD on my order after hearing about AP 3.0.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht